108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Subject : Redhat linux setup.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Subject : Redhat linux setup.

I would like to install "redhat linux" on my PC loading Windows 98 as operating system.
I have only one disk drive which uses FAT.

And I want to use both Windows98 and linux with one disk drive installed so I can boot off linux sometimes and Windows98 other times.

My question is whether I format the disk drive to divide partition for linux to be loaded or not.

Regards,
Never say "no" first.
5 REPLIES 5
Solution

Re: Subject : Redhat linux setup.

1a. You can use "fips" to reduce your Windows98/FAT partition, and them install Linux.

1b. You can remove all partitions on your HD. Create a new partition for Windows (not using all disk space). Install Windows on that partition. Install Linux on the rest of disk.

2. Install LILO to have "dual boot"
Nik
Advisor

I would start from scratch, use fdisk to create your partions, I have 3x2Gb, one is WinMe, one is WinData, and one is Linux.
Install 98 first, then Linux. I think Redhat has an app called Disk Druid to help assign partitions.
Edit your /etc/lilo.conf file... mine looks like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=2
message = /etc/lilo.message

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20.img
label=1
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda6
password=

other= /dev/hda1
label=2
password=

---

You can also create a message file, mine is /etc/lilo.message, which looks like this to give you a startup menu type look:

-------------
System Name
-------------

1. Linux
2. Windows

---

Hope this helps... Nik
Bryce Dunn
Valued Contributor

Also the linux boot partition needs to be in the first (1023?) cylinders of the hard disk. so if you wanted your linux partitons at the end of the disk you would have to create a small /boot partition near the beginning.
f. halili
Trusted Contributor

Yes you have to format again if you are to use one disk. If you want to use the same disk, you re-partition and format your hard disk. For example you create drives c & d from your single harddisk.

Install windows 98 to your new drive c.
Install Linus on your new drive d. Use the disk druid, and be sure not to overwrite files in your drive c.
Lilo ( linux loader ) will take care if you want to boot with dos/win98 or Linux.

- fnhalili
derekh

More recent versions of Linux (LILO ) do not need to be on the first 1024 cyl. On some old versions the /boot file system/partition must be on de first 1024 cyl.