108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Superdome partitions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adrian Jang
Occasional Advisor

Superdome partitions

I am logged into a partition of a Superdome. SAM shows there are four 875MHz CPUs and 6109.5MB memory. Please refer also to the attached Powerpoint file.

Question: Are the four CPUs and 6GB RAM dedicated to the partition of the Superdome that I've logged into? Or are the four CPUs and 6GB RAM shared by other partitions?

Thanks for any advice!
7 REPLIES 7
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Adrian,

try parstatus,

this will give you allocation (CPU,RAM) by partition.

I think it is for the partition you have logged into. Its long time I have used sam for this info.
Adrian Jang
Occasional Advisor

Hello Basheer,

Thanks for your reply.

I've just run parstatus. The results are contained in the attached file. It seems to confirm my partition ("server1") has four CPUs. I can't seem, however, to determine the amount of RAM allocated to my partition. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Adrian
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You have 3 nPars (0,2,3), CPUs and RAM cannot be shared between them.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

First look into the [Partition] table in your attached output, then refer back to the [Cell] table.

Your partition 0 is named "server0 server1", and it contains 4 hardware cells, namely cells 0, 2, 4 and 6.

Each of these contains 4 CPUs, so partition 0 has a total of 16 CPUs. Cell 0 has 10 GB of memory, the rest of the cells have 8 GB each. So your partition 0 contains 34 GB of memory in total.

The name of the partition 0 suggests that vPar technology may have been used to further sub-divide the nPar partition 0 into servers server0 and server1.

The vPar technology was the first one to support dynamic migration of resources from one vPar partition to another. The ability to add and remove hardware cells in and out of nPars is a more recent development, and available in HP-UX 11.31 only, as far as I know.

If your partition runs a HP-UX version 11.11 or 11.23, it's certain that these resources (16 CPUs and 34 GB of memory) are dedicated to nPar 0. It may be possible to dynamically change the resource assignment between the vPars within the nPar, but that cannot be determined from this output.

Please run "vparstatus" and attach the output for further analysis.

MK
MK
Adrian Jang
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matti,

The output of the "vparstatus" command (attached) *definitively* answers my question.

I can see my partition (server1) has four CPUs and 6GB RAM.

Thanks very much.

Adrian
Adrian Jang
Occasional Advisor

BTW, HP-UX 11.11 is being used.
Adrian Jang
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone!