5926 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swap space problem

Ashwin_4
Frequent Advisor

Swap space problem

Hi,
I'm getting message "swap space below 10 percent free", whereas the output of swapon -s
is,
# swapon -s
Swap partition /dev/vol/rootdg/swapvol (default swap):
Allocated space: 255936 pages (1999MB)
In-use space: 22669 pages ( 8%)
Free space: 233267 pages ( 91%)
This show 91% swap space is free.
Pl. guide me how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Looks like your system is very heavy loaded. Message "swap space below 10 percent free" means that your system is running out of memory (physical and "swap", i.e. disk space for "swap". Fixing your problem would be simple: you need additional disk space for swap. That can be disk partition or logical volume device.
If you do not have free disk space you will have to install new disk or repartition one of existing disks. After that you add this to the system. On V4.0x you put entry in /etc/fstab (for example: swap2 ...... /dev/rz5a). On V5.x you add entry in /etc/sysconfigtab (for example: swapdevice=/dev/vol/rootdg/swapvol, /dev/disk/dsk2b). After that you type:
# swapon -a
and additional space will be added.
That would fix "swap space below 10 percent free". But you also think about that you will have to add some RAM (physical) memory because your system is swaping a lot and it makes your system very slow.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ashwin_4
Frequent Advisor

Hi Vladimir Fabecic,
What you said is absolutly correct, but see the output of swapon -s pasted above, it show 91% of spaw is free, it means swap is not being used.

Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

This is a query that was raised in this forum time and again. Please use the "Search" facility with the keywords "swap space below". You will find a lot of hits.

Ashwin_4
Frequent Advisor