108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swap1 volume?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

Swap1 volume?

Trying to clean up an old server and consolidate the 50+ volume groups some ninny set up. In sam, vg01 shows:

ecc vg01 LVM Unused 512 0
lvol9 vg01 LVM Unused 8192 0
swap1 vg01 LVM Swap 8192 0

And /etc/fstab shows this for vg01:

grep vg01 /etc/fstab
/dev/vg01/swap1 ... swap pri=0 0 0

So it looks like I have 8 GB of disk swap space in vg01 and 8GB unused. However, vmstat -n shows:

avm -> 956994
free -> 26017

So do I really have disk swap enabled properly?

Thanks!

Leam
9 REPLIES 9
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

I generally just run swapinfo -tam for my verification of active swap.

That active virtual pages and free list size, is just too much math for me.

Regards,
Rita
Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

Awesome!

swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 4096 0 4096 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev 8192 909 7283 11% 0 - 0 /dev/vg01/swap1
reserve - 3851 -3851
memory 6304 4154 2150 66%
total 18592 8914 9678 48% - 0 -

So I should be able ot remove vg01 and use the space for filesystems. It looks like vg00/lvol2 is large enough. Of course, that one isn't mentioned in /etc/fstab. Looks like I need to add it, right?

Leam

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

swapinfo is the command to check about swap actual usage. The above shows just the logical volume names in vg01.
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do that. Additional swap is needed for the system to run properly. So leave it where it is.
Albeit, I generally put my additional swap right into vg00, thus saving a minor number.
But to each his own...

What exactly is lvol9 connected with?
Run bdf and see what it is associated with, if anything?

/rcw

Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

lvol09 is not used, nor is ecc far as I can tell. Whomever built this beast set up, literally dozens of volumes each in their own VG. I'm trying to undo that. I don't mind allocating the swap space, but I don't want unnecessary VGs. It makes volume manipulation difficult.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Before you remove swap space please remember the relationship between physical memory installed and swap memory that you must provide for system tuning .

Take a look of this document:
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/devresource/docs/techpapers/uxperfcookbook.pdf

Rgds.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

As long as you can confirm that those other references are absolutely connected to nothing, you should be okay to remove them.

But remember, just because you don't see a file system mounted, does not mean a disk is not in use. Be sure what you plan to remove is not being used as a 'raw device' first!

Regards,
Rita

Leam Hall
Frequent Advisor

Rita,

How do I check for raw volume usage? This is already part of a volume group, can it also be a raw device?

Thanks!

Leam
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Take a look at Matt Kurkela's response on this thread...it's pretty helpful.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/how-to-find-unused-disk-devices-in-hpunix/m-p/4208755#M325847

Regards,
Rita