1752577 Members
4111 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Syslog events

J. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Syslog events

I'm getting several events in the syslog file that a devices are added. In the attachment you see serveral entries and in the ioscan you see all are claimed and the disks are working normaly. And in the /dev/dsk/ are disks who i can't trace.
9 REPLIES 9
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

J. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Hi, that link i already found. But how can i find the duplicated entries? Is it reading line by line or ????
TTr
Honored Contributor

> And in the /dev/dsk/ are disks who i can't trace.

I am not sure what the question is but if you are asking how to find the disk devices that are invalid and are no longer in the system, use the "lssf /dev/dsk/*" and "lssf /dev/rdsk/*". Anything that has ??? in the hardware path column is an invalid device.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

All events are reported by commandview sdm - this utility is for managing VA7xx0 arrays and DS2405 disk chassis.

IMHO the CVSDM was just about to discover the devices.

Use "armdsp -a " or "armdiscover" to get more information.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

With disk arrays, it is quite common to have unconnected device files. If you present a set of LUNs to your system, then run ioscan and insf, the device files will all be created. However, it is very easy to remove LUNs and present new LUNs without properly removing them from HP-UX. This leaves a bunch of useless device files with a hardware path = ???. You should remove anything with ??? to keep the /dev/*dsk direcotires clean:

for NOHW in $(lssf /dev/*dsk/* | awk '/???/{print $NF})
do
rmsf -a $NOHW
done

This correctly removes the device files and any pointers in the kernel. NOTE: rmsf will complaine that there is no hardware path for the device file (which is true), but the file and pointers will be correctly removed.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
J. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

HI, i think i know now what the problem is. Many days ago 3 disks are replaced. And now i think that in the DeviceDBFiles are old entries from those replaced disks. The new disks are with the ioscan HPQ-BFxxxx and the old devices were HP 73.4Gxxxx. I think i have to look at those entries (in the DeviceDBFiles)
disk 13 1/0/4/0/0.8.0.255.0.2.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HPQ
BF07258243
/dev/dsk/c5t2d0 /dev/rdsk/c5t2d0

who have the same entrie but now with HP 73. and then delete them and than ./HA_Dial_stop
and ./HA_Dial_start.

BTW maybe i stupid question. Can you delete the DeviceDBFiles to regenerate a new file?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm not sure why you care about the DeviceDBFiles at all ...

However,

- Stop the HostAgent and OpenDial services
- Delete or rename the current device database file (DeviceDBFile)
- Restart the HostAgent and OpenDial services
- Run the following command to rebuild the database:
armdiscover [managementhost] -h [devicehost]

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
J. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten,

I'm care about the DeviceDBFiles while in the syslog.log in the var/adm/syslog several entries come back for adding new devices.

J. Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

I'll close this thread while solved the problem. I removed the DeviceDBfile and stopped the HostAgent and the OpenDial services. Started them again and a new file was created. Now i don't get any wrong messages in the syslog. I think problem solved. Thx for helping me and taking me into the right direction.

Jan