108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Backups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michele Carbone

Mohamed,

I apologize for slaughtering your name in my first response and I do know the mt command as it is used; I've looked at it before. The -f threw me but I see now what the -f is for.

I use the mt command at the end of the backup script, i.e. mt unload so the tape does unload. The problem lies in the fact that the backups now require two tapes and it appears there is no way to alert someone to change the tape and (maybe) answer a request. Two seperate jobs and staggering the times seems to be the only option.

Thank You.

Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Michele,
From your response, your tape drive is single..right?

If you have to get a good backup of your system, then do the extra work to get the backup you need, then move to the DLT tape drive, and then you will have a good peace of mind.

Good luck
Mohamed
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

ah... vdump was the software used. Why is this "important" information not mentioned within your posting?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Ralf,
Some times you have to make your imagination work for you to assume "important" information. Since the system is 2100 and using 4mm tapes, and DLT is an upgrade option, I just ran my imagination and assumed they are using dump or vdump commands with an old configuration like this.
Any way, assume till you are proven wrong.

Michele, is everything fine now?

Mohamed