9965 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System error 233

Sandeep Geet
Occasional Contributor

System error 233

Hi !

I am having HP rp 7410 server with HP UX 11i v1 with external storage DS 2300 atatched to it.

I am using Informix database with Baan 4c4 on the same server. Suddenly from last 2-3 days I see more application users in database (this results in DB crash) . and getting following error :
==============================================
14:54:27 listener-thread: err = -25573: oserr = 233: errstr = : Network driver
cannot accept a connection on the port.
System error = 233.
===============================================

But at the same time server is accessible by telnet etc.

Can some one help?

Thanks & Regards,
Sandeep

3 REPLIES 3
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Re: System error 233

I don't know *anything* in relation to informix, but I'd bet the 'cannot accept a connection' error is related to a network server port of informix gone to FIN_WAIT_2 state. please do a netstat -na | grep FIN
and cross-check the port number with informix docs, maybe this gets You started on which process gets into trouble.

Are there any usable messages in the syslog?
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is not a telnet (network) problem, looks like Informix error.
never give up
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

From /usr/include/sys/errno.h:
define ENOBUFS 233 /* No buffer space available */

from man 2 errno:
[ENOBUFS] No buffer space available. An operation on a socket was not performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space.

This is actually a temporary condition and the application should have retried the accept(2) system call. From an HP note:

"If the application aborts with this error situation, it should be re-written so that it will retry accept() system call. ENOBUFS is usually indicating transient error. So, aborting the application just by seeing this error once should not be proper action. The application should be modified so that it gets more robustness."

Bill Hassell, sysadmin