108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System shutdown

SOLVED
Go to solution
O'lnes
Regular Advisor

System shutdown

When the process to boot up the UNIX, it stop at the process (eg. NFS server not responding) , how can I skip this process when boot up ?
Andy
8 REPLIES 8
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: System shutdown

In the /etc/rc.config.d directory are files that govern whether or not processes start at boot or not. You can change the value of 1 to 0.

If you are in the process of booting, this will eventually time out. You can also try <|> (the pipe symbol) to bypass any subsequent process startups. This will bypass the remaining services to start so be aware.
Chuck J
Valued Contributor

Go to /sbin/rc2.d and you'll probably have something called S400nfs.core & S430nfs.client

rename the files using a lower case "s" insead of a "S" and then they will not attempt to start at system boot time.

Chuck J
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
both Rick's and chuck's methos works, but you need to get into single user mode first, perform one of either method and execute
#init 3
never give up
O'lnes
Regular Advisor

if the process stop at internet services daemon, is it suitable to set it to '0' ? what is the pitfall? can start this daemon after boot to the system ? thx.
Andy
O'lnes
Regular Advisor

I tried <|> , it will esc to the login mode, except this command , can i just skip to start the services/daemon stead of esc to the login mode? thx.
Andy
Chuck J
Valued Contributor
Solution

If you set it to 0 all it means is it just wont start. If you ever want to start it again you just change that value back to 1. When i've done it in the past i've not had to bring the system into single user mode though? Don't forget to assign points :-)

Chuck J :-)
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi O'lnes

It will be better if you did it in single user mode. If you already logged in(after a prolonged boot process) some of the process wouldn't have been started. You can start those for eg to start nfs process
#/sbin/init.d/nfs.server start
etc...

never give up
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Login as root, and vi /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf and change

NFS_CLIENT=1
NFS_SERVER=1

to

NFS_CLIENT=0
NFS_SERVER=0