7713 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System time need to be change

pkumar97
Frequent Advisor

System time need to be change

Dear friends,
our machine is running 15 min back to the exact time , how we can change this? whether we need reboot ?

root@aagcdb /var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest > date;
Thu Apr 30 16:45:00 uae 2009
root@aagcdb /var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest >

is the current time we need tp change this time
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: System time need to be change

Hi:

If you are moving your server's time _forward_ then there are few issues in doing so. You can simply do:

# date mmddhhmm

If you are moving your server's time backwards, you will want to stop all databases and time-sensitive applications before you reset the time and then restart them afterwards. You may even want to wait the delta time before you resume them.

You are probably not running NTP to maintain accurate time. You should most certainly set this up. There are a vast number of posts in the forum on this subject to guide you.

Regards!

...JRF...
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the reboot is not required, maybe you should consider to shutdown the application ( if some app such oracle .... is running ), before you change the time on the server.

configure ntp(d) for periodical synchronization, or use ntpdate -b (ntp_server).

Michal

TTr
Honored Contributor

Use the "date -a " command. It slows down or speeds up the clock to adjust without impact to the running environment.
Check out "man date"
pkumar97
Frequent Advisor

we are not using ntp, and we need to forward the time to 15 min , i mean to down the application , becasue we are using oracle database which is in clustered enviornment on both node we need to change the time we are getting the downtime also so after down the application and database whether we are changing this whether we will face any issue

root@agcdevap / > date;
Thu Apr 30 17:11:04 uae 2009
is my current time

whether this command is correct if i need to change this to 17:39 ie todays date ie 30th april 2009

date 04301739

Please suggest
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
if you are not comfirtable with command line you can also use SAM to perform this

open SAM
click on Time and then System clock

you can change time here,

please refer attachment, thanks,
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> becasue we are using oracle database which is in clustered enviornment

You _really_ need to establish an NTP managed environment for accurate time. This is so easy to do. Even if you have to use a third server as a local time source, keeping the current cluster times synchronized is just part of your high-availablity strategy. Implement NTP correctly and you won't face this downtime again!

Regards!

...JRF...
pkumar97
Frequent Advisor

Dear Friends ,
Thanks for your valuable advice i will try to implement ntp in our setup.Meanwhile i will try to update the time Thanks once again
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Prasanth.

First let everybody know ( Database team, application team, your team) and create a change management request that you are doing this change.

this is very important if your applications are date/time oriented for the transactions.

also configure your ntp server.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

dear Prasanth

Date is the command

see man date

thanks

Sajjad