Operating System - HP-UX
1753899 Members
7565 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System wide password Format on Trusted System 11.11?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Are changes made to the /etc/default/security
take prececent over user TCB files or is this
file subservient of tcb security?

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

/etc/default/security and the /tcb entries are 'merged' together. It is quite painful to try to figure all this out by inspection. Start by creating a complete /etc/default/security file. I have attached a sample here. NOTE: if you do not keep up on patches, some of the items will be ignored. Note also (as the comments state in the file), the "#" character cannot be used on the same line as a desired setting. The code blindly skips any line with # in it.

I have attached a sample security file. In my next post, I have attached a security definition script that will summarize all the settings in your current system.

Note that while Trusted is deprecated for the future, the replacement choices are not as capable. Unless you plan on moving to the next version past 11.31 (not out yet), I would stay with Trusted. Adding Shadow Passwords will be fairly confusing when you see all the limitations.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Here is the security settings script. It should give you virtually all of the current settings. SAM is also useful but a lot more cumbersome to locate and set the values.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I also recommend that you can read this post as addendum knowledge, I think it is very useful especially the future of Trusted Systems and their disadvantages:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1371250

Regards.
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Thanks All.

I appreciate the assistance ..