Operating System - HP-UX
1753357 Members
5028 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded HPUX Error: 24: Too many open files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded HPUX Error: 24: Too many open files

Hi All,

Can any one advice me "which kernal parameter" needs to be changed.? bit confused becoz some forum says you can increase "nfile" some says "too many open files you should only increase "maxfile" & maxfile_lim" which should i increase..?

nfile ?
maxfile?
maxfile_lim?

Current Kernal values:-
=====================

/ > kmtune |grep nfile
nfile 3329 - (16*(NPROC+16+MAXUSERS)/10+32+2*(NPTY+NSTRPTY+NSTRTEL))

/ > kmtune |grep maxfile
maxfiles 60 - 60
maxfiles_lim 1024 Y 1024

model:- N4000 , OS HPUX 11.11

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
20 REPLIES 20
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

Re: TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded HPUX Error: 24: Too many open files

Shalom,

Yes to all the above.

I believe in taking the forumulas out of a lot of these parametrs.

Also, take a look at maxuprc, the maximum number of files for one user. I'd bump that up to 200 at least. The default is 75.

You should increase these parameters and monitor use to preemptively increase them before they run low.

Oracle does have a guide for minimum kernel parameters for HP-UX on the metalink website.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Shalom,

so can you advice me what can be new kernal values for ?

nfile ?
maxfile?
maxfile_lim?

or you want me to bump "maxurpc" to 200
my current valuve for "maxurpc" is 150

Thanks,
Johnson
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Johnson,

Ok. It depends whice user or process produce the error. First brief about these kernel parameters.

nfile=> maximum number of open files (system-wide)
Note: It is a system wide parameters.

maxfiles=>initial (soft) maximum number of file descriptors per process
Note:It is a initial limit. means still process can extend. upto what limit can extend? it is controlled by maxfiles_lim

maxfiles_lim=>hard maximum number of file descriptors per process

Now you can come to a conclusion which parameter you can increase.

If you are getting the error when you start a particular process, you should increase maxfiles or even maxfiles_lim if necessary.

If the system gives the error, frequently irrespective of process, means system is reaching the system wide hard limit, then you should consider to increase nfiles.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,

Forgot to add one more thing. You should consider to set the file descriptors value to unlimited for specific users through ulimit command if only particular user is receiving the error.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Ganesan,

Many thanks for your explanation.

>>If the system gives the error, frequently irrespective of process, means system is reaching the system wide hard limit, then you should consider to increase nfiles.<<

Consideration of the above comment , can you recommend how can increase nfile.?

Thanks,
Johnson
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>maxfiles 60 - 60
>maxfiles_lim 1024 Y 1024

These are too small. Try 1024 and 2048.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

how about nfile? value, can also advice for me ..:)

Thanks,
Johnson
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how about nfile value?

What is your current value?
What is: (16*(NPROC+16+MAXUSERS)/10+32+2*(NPTY+NSTRPTY+NSTRTEL))

As SEP said, just put a number there. Try 16000.

Note: Typically you get "table is full" logged in syslog.log if your nfile is too small.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Johnson,

>>>
can you recommend how can increase nfile.?
<<<

Since nfile depends on other parameters, you are getting that formula in kmtune output. Means changing the other dependency parameter will also change the nfile value.

If you need to increase nfile value straight away, goto SAM->Kernel Configuration -> Configurable Parameters->select nfile->Actions->Modify Configurable Parameter->here you will have this field

Formula/Value:

You can specify the new value in the above field. Note that nfile is static and needs kernel rebuilt.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.