New Discussion юеВ

TRU64 cannot boot or even go to SRM prompt

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danz R
Occasional Advisor

TRU64 cannot boot or even go to SRM prompt

Hi Guys,

I have a system (ES45) running tru64 v5.1b using Smart Array 5300 controller for the BA6106d drive cage - there are 6 x 146 GB disk in the drive cage with the first two in RAID1 and the next 4 in RAID5 configuration. 1 of the 4 disks in RAID 5 config appears to be defective. When the server was rebooted the message on the console states:

"The following SCSI drive(s) need Automatic Data Recovery (Rebuild):тА║4;1H SCSI Port 1: SCSI IDs 0, 5тА║5;1H Select "F1" to continue with recovery of data to drive(s)тА║6;1H Select "F2" to continue without recovery of data to drive(s)тА║7;1H (RESUME = "F1" OR "F2" KEY)"

Pressing F1 or F2 doesn't have any response (we're using VT510 Terminal). Is there any other way to skip this process and proceed with the boot up or even going to the SRM prompt?

Regards,
DR
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: TRU64 cannot boot or even go to SRM prompt

I know nothing, but have you tried the PF1 or
PF2 keys on the keypad? (It works with the
Solaris installer when using a "VT100".
Perhaps someone else thought the same way.)
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

If it is hanging for long time press
esc esc rmc and recylcle power by power off and then power on.
then try to pressing F2 if you do not have data backup.
otherwise F1 and continue.
Have you changed disks recently....disks might have gone bad........
BR,
Kapil
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I know even less than Steven, but how about rebooting with a 'real' keyboard and/or monitor attached, just to get you over this hump? You have to get to the system anyway to do the drive swap.

fwiw,
Hein.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

%ITRC-I-QUESTCOMPARE, In this statement, the
unsigned expression "[what] I know" is being
compared with a relational operator to a
constant whose value is not greater than zero.
This might not be what you intended.
at line number 1 in file http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1202337 Feb 11, 2008 13:28:04 GMT
Danz R
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Guys for the prompt reply. I have noticed that the external array was mistakenly connected to the external port of the 5300 smart array controller B used by the BA6106D internally with the boot disk dyb0. When this was transferred to the other controller (pya0 external ports) the system went to the SRM console. The setup has been a total mess at this point and I am desperately trying to find ways on figuring it out.

I am currently trying to change the boot_dev SRM value from dyb0 to dya0 but it returns an error saying that I cannot change the boot_dev value because it is protected. Can anyone suggest which other parameter do I need to change in order to set boot_dev from dyb0 to dya0?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

> [...] I cannot change the boot_dev value [...]

That's because it's history. To affect the
future, try setting "bootdef_dev".
Danz R
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Steven. Can you send me a link on the users guide/manual of the SRM console?

And the link for a free downloadable application that I can install on my laptop to be connected serially to the server to have console access (like KEA!). I am not successful in looking for the free downloadable KEA application.

Regards,
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I use a PuTTY V0.59.
It allows you to connect 'serial' next to 'Raw, Telnet, Rlogin and SSH'.

Hein.
Danz R
Occasional Advisor

Hi Hein,

Does this provide console access to the server? Like hyperterminal etc.?