108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TSM

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Willams
Super Advisor

TSM

What is TSM(Tivoli Storage Manager) and how do I configure it.... any links or notes will be helpful
5 REPLIES 5
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Re: TSM

Hi Will,

Its HP- Support forum,( TSM) -> IBM product,
Better if you could simple -> Google, or visit IBM site

Appreciate your understanding,

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
thatiraju
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi....

>>>What is TSM(Tivoli Storage Manager) and how do I configure it.... any links or notes will be helpful ....

TSM is the Tivoli Storege mnagaer . It consists of many modules like monitoring , backup ( different backups ) ,IT managemant tools . There are books available at

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245416.html

http://www.ibm.com/search/?en=utf&v=16тМй=en&cc=us&q=tsm+books&lv=c

Regards,,

Raj..........
RC Park
Frequent Advisor

Used it for years. Great tool for backup and recovery as long as you're not thinking bare metal restore. Pretty much, I had a strategy of having a std. system image using ignite (all in vg00) and everything else was outside of vg00 and backed up by TSM. It will install almost everything down into a simple directory structure (eg, /opt/tsm) and you'll simply need to do a few things:

1. Create the DSM_DIR environment variable for any who will need to access the TSM program and config files
2. Make sure you establish a connection with your TSM admin. It is a complex tool and should be being administered by a competent AIX Admin. He will help you figure out how to get the client-server thing going between your system (configured in two files, $DSM_DIR/dsm.sys and $DSM_DIR/dsm.opt).
3. TSM is server initiated- you setup a client on your host running via an init script (/etc/inittab) which should be setup as respawn and loads the dsm executable. The TSM binaries will likely be installed to /usr/bin and will all start with 'dsm'

Hopefully this gives you some idea...
RCP
RC Park
Frequent Advisor

Missed something...
#2 should have read at the end, "between your system and the TSM server."

RCP
David Willams
Super Advisor

thanks