1752676 Members
6279 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Take a full online memory dump for HP-UX 11.31

Duff_Michael
Occasional Contributor

Take a full online memory dump for HP-UX 11.31

As part of an intrusion testing that we are doing I need to take a full online memory dump of our system. I'm not exactly sure on how to force this memory dump. I've done a crashconf -i all , which is supposed to update the configuration so that the next system reboot a full crash dump will occur if there is a system crash. If i do a savecrash -vr /var/adm/crash # savecrash -vr /var/adm/crash *EXIT: parse_args ENTER: open_source ENTER: read_header ENTER: get_hdr_loc savecrash: Header location data invalid, no dump to save *EXIT: get_hdr_loc savecrash: Could not get dump header from device: Error 0 *EXIT: main I can't reboot this system as this is part of an intrusion testing and any reboot of the system would cause memory loss and void the test. Please let me know what commands are available so that I can run a full online memory dump.
1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Take a full online memory dump for HP-UX 11.31

(it is very hard to read your post.  It would help if you could edit your post with Post Options > Edit Reply to insert some newlines.)

>Please let me know what commands are available so that I can run a full online memory dump.

I don't think there are any?  Dump overwrites swap, unless you have a separate device.

You probably should be talking to Support.

What is the test really trying to do?  And why does it think it needs an online memory dump?

Ah, if you're root you can simply copy /dev/kmem.  That should be "online" enough.