Re: Telnet issue in HPUX 11.00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lijeesh N G_1
Respected Contributor

1)what about with Server IP address,
#telnet

2)Remove the "-B /etc/security.banner" from /etc/inetd.conf, restart inetd with #inetd -c and try,

senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Mel Burslan

As you suggested i checked the log file (syslog).
root@lgapps:/var/adm/syslog > cat syslog.log | grep -i telnet
Aug 19 09:47:36 ad002223 inetd[3743]: telnet/tcp: Connection from emdlagopsmgr (10.250.0.121) at Wed Aug 19 09:47:36 2009
Aug 19 09:47:36 ad002223 inetd[3743]: execv /usr/lbin/telnetd: Permission denied

Then i changed the permission of the file "telnetd"

root@lgapps:/var/adm/syslog > ll /usr/lbin/telnetd
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 94208 Mar 27 2002 /usr/lbin/telnetd
root@lgapps:/var/adm/syslog > chmod 544 /usr/lbin/telnetd

Now it is working fine.

senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

I am closing this thread
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

did you by any chance log in to this server and check the contents of this /etc/security.banner ?

Since you can not even see the banner, there might be some offending characters, causing your connection to drop. Or you might be running some sort of a software firewall which is not allowing telnet connections and forcing them to drop as they come in.

Without actual data on the server (not only on the client itself) it is hard to say what's happening.

I think you closed your thread too early...

one would assume that the telnetd executable had its permisions changed for a reason - if I were to hazard a guess I would say as a crude method of enforcing a security policy (e.g. no clear text passwords on the network and by implication no telnet) - someone may have taken the decision to just make telnetd non-executable rather than removing it from inetd.conf or blocking ports via firewalls etc...

So I suspect all you have done here is treat the symptons, rather than determine the root cause - your next task should be to determine *why* the permissions on telnetd were changed - thats not something you can figure out from the box - you'll need to ask all those with root access to this system...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo