108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Telnet problem, please help me.

SOLVED
Go to solution
chuanpeng_1
Occasional Advisor

Telnet problem, please help me.

The telnet session always be terminated when the session is idle about 30 minutes. In the .profile and /etc/profile the parameter TMOUT is not configed. Echo $TMOUT return 0.
The parameters in /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf are not configed.
ndd -h tcp_ip_abort_interval
return 10 minutes
tcp_ip_abort_cinterval
return 75 seconds

Then I try to set the TMOUT=14400 in .profile, it doesn't work.

Is there any other paramters about the telnet timeout?
And what can I do ?
7 REPLIES 7
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

assuming your workstation is going through a series of routers and switches to reach the server, the default inactivity timeout values of these equipment may be causing the termination of the session.

env | grep TMOUT

if this returns nothing or
TMOUT=0
it means that it is disabled.

If it is disabled, only place to look is the network equipment default timeouts.

hope this helps

The customer said he had connect to the system from another unix machine which is in the same subnet. The session was also terminated.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The TMOUT values is NOT a telnet timeout. It is a shell timeout. As long as the user is sitting at a shell prompt, the time runs and will termiate the shell for no activity. To make the TMOUT value apply to all users, and most important, to prevent users from changing TMOUT, do this in /etc/profile:

export TMOUT=1800
readonly TMOUT

Note that if you put the change in .profile, users can change .profile at any time. Note also that if a user just runs another process (like vi), the timer stops.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
chuanpeng_1
Occasional Advisor

You are right, but this can't resolve my problem. I want to make the telnet not be terminated. The parameter TMOUT doesn't work.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK. I misunderstood. It is very likely that your network router or firewall has a telnet sessions limit. This is very common and has nothing to do with HP-UX. Consult with your network admninistrator.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

When the telnet session is terminated, which kind of message the user received? or there is not message at all?

When a session terminated by TIMEOUT, user will receive a message like this:

shell time out in 60 seconds
ksh: timed out waiting for input
logout
Connection closed.

If user received something else, can you post it here? may be we can understand a pit more from the message.

Yang
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There will be no nessage when a router terminates a session. The router simply closes the connection. To see this happening, you need to download Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) from www.wireshark.org and trace the connection. Then show the results to your network administrator.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin