Re: Telnet session hangs, when I open vi or output is large

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi.

This may lead to nothing but I have seen this when the server and the switch have mismatched Duplex on the NIC.

Find out what the switch is set to (Auto, 1000FD, 1000HD etc) and then use landiag to look at the duplex setting of the NIC.
lanscan will show you which card number to reference.

It will probably be set to the opposite of the switch IE half duplex instead of full.....
It will probably be a CISCO switch too.

Reset both to the same and all is OK...

Trevor.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

Hey,

it might be a network issue. we are planning to change from half duplex to full.

mean while, any other ideas, MOST Welcome
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

>More over, we are able to connect to the HP UX >box, and able to execute commands. If the >command output is large, the session hangs.

I'm not sure, but this sounds as if the path MTU discovery between Putty client and HP-UX server is impaired.
Could it be that you have any blackhole routers along the route (viz. those which aren't allowed to return ICMP "fragmentation needed" packets)?
Some network device admins block all (even legitimate) ICMP traffic).
I'm not sure about the Windows ping command,
but I think it also allows for giving the packet size (try WINkey+r => cmd to get a DOS shell and enter "ping /h" for valid options).
Then you could try to send echo request packets of increasing size (provided these aren't filtered, and the HP-UX server is allowed to respond), and check from when you encounter packet loss.
But I suppose in order to reduce the MTU of your windows box you need to tamper with some registry setting, of which I am afraid I am clueless.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

Thank you All!!! It was the issue with MTU settings in the client PCs...

Thanks a TON for the inputs!!!
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview