1748019 Members
4702 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Terminal Emulation recommendations

Terrence
Regular Advisor

Terminal Emulation recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations on selecting a terminal emulation product for HPUX servers running 11iV2 & 3.

I'm currently using an old version of smartterm (10.0a) which I like because it allows for tabbed sessions, much like web browsers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to successfully run ssh connections in thoses tabs. When you switch to another tab, it looses the SSH connection to the other. It handles telnet just fine, but for security purposes I'd like to disable telnet.

We do have old versions of WRQ Reflections (11 & 14) sitting around, but they don't support the tabbed sessions. I really need to keep numerous sessions open similtaneously so it's a key feature in addition to robust SSH support.

Ideas? Preferences?
10 REPLIES 10
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

PuTTY. It's open-source, free and it just works!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Regards!

...JRF...
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

There is a tabbed implementation using putty engine underneath, named Putty Connection manager, which brings macros and some other neat features to putty. Check their homepage at :

http://puttycm.free.fr/

Hope this helps.

PuTTY is almost the industry-standard software to do this now.

I migrated a few years ago a bunch of people (around 50) from SmartTerm to PuTTY. They were quite surprised by its "no-frills" interface, but over time everyone came to love its ease of use and, most of all, its stability; it just never crashes and can endure a lot of abuse. I could spend hours praising Simon and his software, it just plain works!!

To facilitate the transition, I configured the default settings to be as much SmartTerm-like as I could. Namely the font has been changed from Courier to a clearer Lucida Console font, and I activated the pop-up menu on a right-click so that it doesn't paste immediately. I also added a third-party wrapper named "Putty Session Manager" as many have customized sessions and they were becoming hard to manage.

If your company isn't comfortable with Open Source, there is the commercial SecureCRT software by Van Dyke which I also found to be very good at what it does.

Good luck
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

PuttyPraise++
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

putty is ok, but i think SecureCRT is more comfortable.

mikap
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Another good HP emulator is QC Term.

http://www.aics-research.com/qcterm/

It is free and it support Telnet, SSH and serial connections. It can emulate an HP 700/92 terminal as well, which can be QUITE handy.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Oh, QC Term is FREE as well.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

For those rare times where I'm in need of a 700/92, I just launch hpterm but this requires an X Server and it's part of another discussion.
Terrence
Regular Advisor

Thanks for everyone's input.