108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Testing Disk I/O Performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Okay, I got it. Here's the latest test result.

time dd if=/dev/sdad1 of=/dev/null bs=8192 count=131072
131072+0 records in
131072+0 records out

real 0m7.541s
user 0m0.067s
sys 0m3.436s

Can you tell me how to convert these numbers?

Thanks much!

Jorge
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Very simple. It took 0m7.541s to read 1 GB of data with a 8k block size, that is 1024MB/7.513=135,8 MB/s.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

Be careful to measure I/O activity that is representative of what you really care about. It can be tempting to measure things that are easy to measure, even though they are not actually the same activities that you really want use the system for. I do value simple benchmarks for their ability to bring clarity. But they can mislead if you if they don't bottleneck in the same ways as the actual application load. Differences in buffer size or read-ahead predictibility or many other factors can cause very different results.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Ivan,

So, what you're saying is that from the test result, it was 135 MB/s?

Thanks,
Jorge
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. I am just trying to find a way to do the I/O comparison from the based test numbers before we migrate our DB from one SAN storage to another.

Thanks,
Jorge
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

using dd to measure io performance, you will only get a part of the true performance.
most disks will be able to read a sequence of data pretty fast, random access, write speeds etc are equally important.
that is why true benchmark tools are better suited.