1753993 Members
7245 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Testing the exit code of fbackup in a script

Scott Hebl
Occasional Contributor

Testing the exit code of fbackup in a script

I have a scripting related question that hopefully someone can shine some light on...

I have a somewhat risky operation (resizing hashed files) that needs to be run once a week in the middle of the night. I only want the job to run if I can confirm that I got a good backup and there were no problems...

SO, what I would like to do is cron a script that checks the exit code of the fbackup job, and if it was 4 or less, then go ahead and do the file resizing... If the exit code from fbackup was 5 that means the backup had fatal errors, and in that case I wouldn't want to do the resize....

The logic seems simple, the only problem is that my scripting skills are pretty limited... Can anyway get me going in the right direction?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Re: Testing the exit code of fbackup in a script

Hi Scoot,

Here is what you can do
set LOGFILE = /usr/adm/fbackupfiles/fbackup.log (you can set this file whereever you want)
set FBACKUP = /usr/sbin/fbackup
set GRAPH = /usr/adm/fbackupfiles/graphs/usr-usrlib (if you want to use graph file, else you can use i=include and e=exclusde )
set TEE = /bin/tee
set LEVEL = ?0? is you are doing level0 backup

#If you are not using graph file then you don?t need option g.
#If you are doing level0 backup everyday for say file system /usr then it should look like this
#( $FBACKUP ?0u ?i /usr ?f /dev/rmt/0m; echo; echo "fbackup Exit Status $status" ) |& $TEE -a $LOGFILE

( $FBACKUP -${LEVEL}ug $GRAPH -f $DEVICE; sleep 5;echo; echo "fbackup Exit Status $status" ) |& \ $TEE -a $LOGFILE
set RESULT = `tail -1 $LOGFILE | awk '{print $4}'`

if ( $RESULT == "0" ) then
echo "" >> $LOGFILE
echo "Successful Backup of $SYSTEM" >> $LOGFILE
#/bin/clear
echo ""
echo " *****************************"
echo " * *"
echo " * DONE *"
echo " * *"
echo " *****************************"
else
echo ? FAIL ?
endif

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

#!/usr/bin/sh

fbackup ...............

if [[ $? -le 4 ]] ; then
Backup OK. Commands to do whatever ...
else
Backup failed; Do whatever...
fi
Scott Hebl
Occasional Contributor

THanks for the suggestions! I will give them a try.
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

even if overall backup succeeded it might still be possible that the file you want to process was not successfully dumped!

Please note that Sachin's script is a C shell script and has to be executed by /usr/bin/csh.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.