108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The mount point (releaseArea) disappears

XHPLuigi

The mount point (releaseArea) disappears

Hi all,

I have a server with B.11.23 U ia64.
the problem is as follows:
the mount point present in /etc/fstab appears in /etc/mnttab if I running mountall or
mount -a command but disappears from /etc/mnttab after few minutes.
I recevied a warning from volume monitoring installed on the server also when disappears.
If I check the mount point with command change dir ie: cd /releaseArea I able to access and the mount point appears in mnttab for few minutes.
I have other network mount points on netapp that present always.
I have deleted mnttab file and the system has recreated it, but problem still again.
Can you help me please?
I am novice on UNIX system administrator.
Thank you in advance
Luigi
6 REPLIES 6
R.O.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

You probably have automount. See if it is activated in "/etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf"

If you have in that file:

AUTOMOUNT=1

You have it activated. See "man automount"

Regards,
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you"
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

This is the behavior of autofs. It is mounted on demand that is if there is no activity within certain period of time, then it unmounted itself. To verify it is a autofs, you can check /etc/auto_master, from this file you can see how the autofs is configured.
XHPLuigi

Hi R.O.

thank you for your reply.
I checked and AUTOMOUNT=1 but the mount point that I have specified i.e. "/releaseArea" is not locate in automount configuration files but in fstab file, also I have an other same server with identical mount points in fstab and work fine and mount point not disappears.
Have you a idea for this issue?

Thank you
XHPLuigi

Hi John Guster,

in /etc/auto_master I have only this value:
+auto.master on the server.
I running ypwhich and checked on NIS server and in /etc/auto_master on the NIS the value is same: +auto.master.

I do not understand why on two identical server only one have this behavior.

Thank you for your collaboration

Luigi
XHPLuigi

Hi all,

I understand now. This is a normal behavior of enhanced autoFS version on after HP-UX 11.11.
Could you help me to configure correct option or parameters on /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf so that the mount point remains always active?
I attempted to lock this mountpoint in fstab file with option llock, but autoFS umount my mount point.

Best Regards.
Luigi
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

you have decide which way you want go for accessing the NFS. autofs is the prefered way sinc eit is mount on demand. Anyway you need state clear if you pure NFS or autofs, then people can help you.