New Discussion юеВ

Re: The software installed on your system will not provide full performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yarok
Regular Advisor

The software installed on your system will not provide full performance

Hello,
Since I didn't receive an solution regarding my issue Im openning a new thread.

Please see the following link:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/OS-cannot-complete-the-reboot-process-after-changing-net-parms/m-p/5279535#M474163

Now the situation is as follow:
I edited the /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf with the requested values:
NFS_CLIENT=0
NFS_SERVER=0
AUTOMOUNT=0
But I didn't edited the field START_MOUNTD.

On that stage the OS could't come up at all.
I rebooted it and interrupt the reboot process to re edit the NFS values.
Now, I receive a white screen with the following message:
" The software installed on your system will not provide full performance. Please install the software that was shipped with your graphic device.
Press any key to continue."
I pressed a key and the message repeated again.
I can log in via Exceed (Xterminal software) on failsafe session mode only.

1. How can I encourage the problem?
2. What is the connection between setting net connection parameters and this crush?
3. How can I do it right for next time?

By the way, the problem above occurs on other HP machine as well.

Please advice.

Yaron

14 REPLIES 14
ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

When you are getting this meesage, while booting or login in to the CDE?

Are you able to login to the server through network service like SSH/telnet etc....

Are you getting the warning only while login in to CDE.

Please provide your OS version and Hardware details.

update the value NFS_CORE=0 in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf and see there is any change?

Manoj K

Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You did not identify your HP-UX version nor the hardware model, so I must guess a lot of things...

But I see you have AUTOMOUNT instead of AUTOFS, so your HP-UX version must be rather old (maybe 11.00 or older).

It sounds like your system maybe has a screen and it requires some special software for full performance: that indicates your hardware model may be some kind of a workstation.

Some HP-UX workstations were sold with rather small system disks (compared to modern disks, "ridiculously tiny" would be a better word for them). Because of this, it was common to have a part of the OS installed (usually the /usr filesystem, maybe other parts too) on a NFS server instead of on the system disk.

If that was done in your case, the system would not be able to boot normally if you disabled NFS_CLIENT and AUTOMOUNT.

If you changed the system's IP address, you might have to make sure the NFS server is still reachable, and/or change something else to match the new network configuration. Without knowing how your system is set up, it's really hard to make any good suggestions.

Please show the output of these commands for some basic information about your system:

model
uname -a
cat /etc/fstab
netstat -rnv
swlist

MK
MK
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

1. We need your OS and model
2. Is your system up to the latest patch whatever OS it is.

This will probably correct issues. You might be using loop back file system which means when you changed the IP address you are looking at the old ip address for a loop back file system.
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Hello,

Sorry for the dalay, we are on vacation.

The OS and model are:

HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/785/C8000

cat/etc/fstab

dev/vg00/lvol3/vxfs delaylog 0 1
dev/vg00/lvol1/stand hfs defualts 0 1
dev/vg00/lvol4/vxfs delaylog 0 1
dev/vg00/lvol8/vxfs delaylog 0 1

Regarding the swlist, I can't login to the machine via ftp and it's not on the ethernet. So I can't provide the file (netstat I created myself cpied manually...).
So please let me know what info you want from the swlist. I just can tell I that I saw last patch is from Dec 2008 GOLDBASE and that the ENHAUTO (enhanced of Auto FS) is exsist.

>It sounds like your system maybe has a screen and it requires some special software for full performance: that indicates your hardware model may be some kind of a workstation.

It worked fine with the same screen before the IP and network changes. In addition I replaced the screen with an HP one but it did not solve the problem. As I mentioned, the problem occures in another HP machine (same OS and model).

Yaron
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Update.

No the OS is up and it seems that everything work, but the performance very poor:

1. login process is very slow
2. Opennig a new terminal takes about 30 sec, same as dtpad for files.

I can ftp to the machine so I atached the swlist results.

Yaron
Yarok
Regular Advisor

I'v changed back the network params (IP, getway, mask) to the previouse state and rebooted the sys.

Now, the reboot process cannot be done completely and a black screen is received.

Please advice ASAP.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

OK, so your workstation is not as old as I feared.

The slowness may be because the system is trying to find its own hostname from DNS and failing.

Verify that the system's own hostname is listed and associated with the correct IP address in /etc/hosts.

Make sure the DNS nameserver settings in /etc/resolv.conf are correct. Verify the nameservers are reachable:

nslookup www.google.com

Run "grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf". Does it list "files" before remote name services like DNS, NIS or LDAP? Having the "files" as the first service helps to avoid system slowness when you have problems with remote name services. (You can modify this with SAM if necessary.)

MK
MK
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Dear Matti,

Thanks for the reply.

Since the os canno't comes up completely, I just could login (by interrupting the reboot) into ISL single mode. So the only commands I get are:

cat /etc/hosts

venus3 8.12.4.77

cat /etc/resolve.conf

domain lab.corpt.com

nameserver 8.12.4.1

I couldn't run the nslookup.
The file /etc/nsswitch.conf does not exists.
SAM is not accessible.
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Bye the way, I can see an error on the LAN process/stage when the OS is tring to come up.