6135 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TimeZone Settings

Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

TimeZone Settings

Hi,
I want to know how can we set the time settings on HP-UX server to UST. So that i don't have to change the timezone settings manually when the server changes the location, and it should pick up the local time of that location automatically.
Is that possible something?If yes how to do that?
Why we are looking that is we are having problem with time sync between servers. We are trying for Kerberos authentication for single sign-on on SAP portal, but the LDAP server is in different timezone, SAP server in differnet timezone and Client system in different timezone.
7 REPLIES 7
likid0
Honored Contributor

You can change you timezone.

editing the file /etc/default/tz

or using #set_parms

you should configure a ntp to sync your time with an ntp server.
Windows?, no thanks
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

configure the ntp for your servers.

Regards
Sunny
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I want to know how can we set the time settings on HP-UX server to UST.

That is UST? UTC/GMT?

>So that I don't have to change the timezone settings manually when the server changes the location, and it should pick up the local time of that location automatically.

How often to you move your server 1000s of miles?
You have to update your TZ manually to get local time.

In some cases you can just export TZ to what you like. For demons like cron, you need to restart them if you need to change.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Narendra,

You can use set_parms or SAM to set or change the time settings.

>>So that i don't have to change the timezone settings manually when the server changes the location, and it should pick up the local time of that location automatically.
Is that possible something? <<

It is not possible. Server will not take the local timezone depends on the location. How the server knows where it is located? You can set any timezone anywhere the server is located depends on the requirement.

For instance, if the server is located in INDIA and users are sitting in US, it is preferred to set US timezone. So that users will not confused with time difference.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

the server has no clue about where it's located. nor does it know if that is relevant.

my normal practice would be to set the default timezone in file previously noted to reflect the TZ of the physical location of the server. User profiles would then set TZ to reflect the geographic location of the user. Some people may do it differently. Note that if all your users are in one geographic location and the server is in a remote location / different TZ, you could set the default TZ and just leave it.

Its mostly a matter of preference
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"Why we are looking that is we are having problem with time sync between servers. We are trying for Kerberos authentication for single sign-on on SAP portal, but the LDAP server is in different timezone, SAP server in differnet timezone and Client system in different timezone."

And this is an issue why? as far as HPUX is concerned, time is always UTC, but reported with the offset specified in TZ.

This sounds more like the times on the servers are different. In which case, the answer might be a correctly configured NTP setup to "sync" the clocks on all of them.
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the solution.