108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Timezone Change Patches for HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
wayne barton_2
Occasional Advisor

Timezone Change Patches for HPUX

Does anyone know if there are any patches to be installed for HPUX 11.00, 11.11, or 11.23 for the upcoming (spring) timezone change? Or, where I can look to obtain this information?

Thanks in advance

-wb
11 REPLIES 11
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Re: Timezone Change Patches for HPUX

Go to the patch db and search for "tztab".

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do

I know hpux 11.0 and 11i v1 have patches, I'm sure 11i v2 will also.

11i v1 is PHCO_34668
11.0 is PHCO_34673

I haven't looked at 11i v2, but I'm sure you'll find the info you need.

You can also search the forums, there have been several posts on this topic already.

-denver

-denver
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

The patch you are looking for (as noted) is for the '/usr/lib/tztab' file:

For 11.0 PHCO_34673
For 11.11 PHCO_34668
For 11.23 PHCO_34669

The patch does not cause a reboot when applied. However, after the update of the 'tztab' file, long-running processes (notably 'cron' and any databases) should be restarted. A a reboot sometime before the timezone(s)' rule changes will mean that any code using, standard C library system calls, will reread and recache the updated rules.

Regards!

...JRF...
Tim Medford
Valued Contributor

I noticed this patch comes in with the December 2006 Support Plus bundle. That's my preferred way of dropping it in anyway.

I'm wondering though, if the server is running the xntpd daemons (ours synchs with time.nist.gov), if the patch is even necessary. Surely the atomic clock will be pulsing out the correct time and be adjusted for the daylight savings time change.

Just a thought.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Tim wrote:

> I'm wondering though, if the server is running the xntpd daemons (ours synchs with time.nist.gov), if the patch is even necessary. Surely the atomic clock will be pulsing out the correct time and be adjusted for the daylight savings time change.

Yes the patch is necessary. Like all sane operating systems, HP-UX keeps only one time: GMT. There is NO daylight saving, no timezones, just one universal time, also known as UTC or Zulu time. Your xntpd is keeping the system clock synced to GMT.

Timezones are 100% political and have virtually nothing to do with astronomy. They are aligned along state, provincial or country borders, can be changed at the whim of politicians are a royal pain to track . See:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

However, several flavors of Unix have adopted the tztab method of handling these crazy delineations. What the tztab file does is to allow a virtually infinite number of timezones. Why I even created my own timezone called BLH and it is 4 hours and 42 minutes East of GMT. That way, I am always 18 minutes ahead of Eastern time so I won't be late for meetings ;-)

Seriously, your machine is capable of providing *EVERY* timezone in the world for any user. You do this by setting the variable TZ to the user's personal timezone (in .profile) so users in Australia, Egypt, Finland, New York and Anchorage Alaska can all see their local time when they login. And timestamps on their files are shown in their local time.

tztab should rightfully be patched every few months to keep up to date on world timezone changes. We get excited because this is the first timezone change in several years for all the U.S. But with the help of the above website, you can maintain your own tztab without any patches...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Bill: Timezones are 100% political ...

There can be at least 48 non-political timezones, split between northern and southern hemispheres, if there is a DST. Some countries have only one, India, China? Russia used to only have one?, even if it spanned 12 hours.

Also, the countries on the same longitude don't have match either.
wayne barton_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for all the information. I have one more question on this matter. I have installed the patch on our 11.00 server, and have changed the date and time to March 10 11:45pm. I have watched the date roll over to March 11th, but the time didn't move forward by 1 hour.

Wasn't it suppose to forward by an hour? Or, is this some type of gradual change? How do I test this change to ensure it working properly before installing it on other servers?

Thanks for the help!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I have watched the date roll over to March 11th, but the time didn't move forward by 1 hour.

Did you wait until 1:59 and see it change to 3 am?

>How do I test this change to ensure it working properly before installing it on other servers?

You write an application that increments time_t and converts it. That way you don't have to fiddle with the system clock.

I believe there is a perl script on one of the questions on this issue in ITRC.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1088398

That has one of my test C sources too.
wayne barton_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the infor Dennis, the time did change. Is the time change a gradual change, or does it take place right at 3:00?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Wayne:

> Is the time change a gradual change, or does it take place right at 3:00?

The clock advances from 01:59:59 to 03:00:00 at the transition to daylight time. In reality, only *one* second has elapsed, though.

That is, it's the *offset* from UTC that changes. For me, in the US Eastern timezone, when the number of epoch seconds is 1_173_596_399 is will be Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007. One second later at 1_173_596_400 seconds it will be Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007.

The manpages for 'environ(5)' discuss the concept of the TZ offset.

Regards!

...JRF...