Did you mean: 

Transaction Per Minute

SOLVED
Go to solution
hahmedma
Advisor

Transaction Per Minute

Dear all,

I have a server  " 9000/800/L1500-7x " with 2 core can I get how I can calculate the TPM for it and the total used and the free ones...

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Transaction Per Minute

You need to define a transaction in some way that is meaningful to you, then set up a test that makes the server do them as fast as possible. You run the test for a while, then divide the number of completed transactions by the number of minutes the test was running. Now you know the maximum TPM for your server and workload.

Then you monitor your normal workload to see how many transactions per minute are occurring.

The number of transactions a server can do depends on the complexity of each transaction. Any TPM values you see in marketing materials are measured using some test transactions, which may or may not be similar to transactions your environment needs to do.

You can use the TPM values to compare two servers: "my old server achieved X TPM in this standardized test, and this new server has achieved 5X TPM in the same test, so if I replaced my old server with this one, I might expect my performance to improve by about a factor of 5x, if the server is the only bottleneck in my environment."

But you cannot use an advertised TPM value as an absolute number.

MK
Solution

Re: Transaction Per Minute

I'd echo what the other poster stated... if you actually have to have a TPM number for this (in terms of a tpmC number similar to those published on tpc.org), then you will need to contact HP.

It is against the "rules" of tpc.org to make public an estimated TPM number for any of their benchmarks. HP do have internal tools that estimate these numbers, but they can't just post them on public forums for the above reason. If you contact your local HP rep, they should be able to give you an estimate "in confidence", but that isn't something you would be able to share outside of your organisation.

By way of guidance - assuming the system you have there is an L Class box with 2 x 750MHz PA8700 processors, one would expect that a modern HP Integrity server such as the rx2800 with a single 1.7GHz 4-core Intel 9340 Tukwila processor would be as much as 6x the performance (of course this can depend heavily on memory and IO capabilities as well - the rx2800 can hold a lot more memory than the L class ever could, and disk array technology has moved on a lot since the L class was released).

Maybe if you explain why you need this info, we can provide a better answer.

HTH

Duncan