108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 5.1B crash Process_tempid_list

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Han,

a tottaly different system means:
cards are plugged in different slots, different configuration of the machine.
So a ES40 is not equal to a ES40 without checking the firmware, moving the cards to the same slots and using the same cards!

Why doing all that nonsense if it is much faster to create a new cluster member? So if doing the right thing: using and modifing the cluster creating disk prior to install the cluster you only need this disk to recreate the whole cluster. Easy!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Ralf,

Your solution simply will not work on a single node cluster. Note that single node clusters are fully supported!

I also disagree with your statement. This is not a fully different system. Why else would we have implemented these commands in the first place.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Han,

I - as an HP member can not give you any unsupported or unofficial method to do what you want. Because it is not official supported by our engieering team. There well documented methods and ways how to backup a cluster for desaster recovery or to create "supported" clones, but not by moving one disk to another system - there are restrictions!

In a single node cluster it is also practical to create a new cluster member. You only need additional disks nothing else.
But taking one disk and use it on another system is not supported by HP. Period.

If you want to play around - you are welcome but don't open a call within an HP support center if a problem exists.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Ralf,

I'm part of HP engineering and what you say is just NOT true.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Han,

as I can see within peoplefinder you are not part of Tru64 Engineering.

But as I've seen the best practise with title "moving system disks" was removed, the engineering search database switched off.
I have had a lot of discussions with Tru64 engineering and many reinstalls of customers on "cloned" systems. There are many restrictions if moving disks between systems!

From technical view: Booting a disk on a technical different system (e.g. different slots, different firmware, cards) leads to new devicenumbering, minor/major codes and boot will fail. So a cleanup of the hardware databases will be necessary, there is an unsupported script out doing this job - but this is an unofficial script and not supported by HP!