Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753640 Members
5149 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 Account Manager deletes home directories without warning

Peter Foster

Tru64 Account Manager deletes home directories without warning

I am using HP Tru64 V5.1B with Enhanced Security and Patch kit #2 on several AlphaServer models.

If a user's home directory is changed using the Account Manager (dxaccounts) the original directory is deleted without warning. For example, should I change an account's home directory from "/data0/users/user1" to "/data0/users/user2", the 'users1' directory ceases to exit when I save the change. This did not happen under v5.1A (I checked). Partially entering a path to an existing directory is dangerous, as finishing off the path later deletes everything (other user accounts included) from that point downwards.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening or at least to get it to ask for permission to delete the directory?
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

dxaccount is a gui application, so if the programmer do not have implemented a checkbox to ask for deletion then you have a problem.

The explained problem is not listed within the bug-list so it seems unknown. Report this problem to your local support center and ask for a fix.

A workaround is to use the dxaccounts binary from 5.1A, have you tested this version on 5.1B?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Peter Foster

There isn't a delete checkbox in this window ("Account Manager: Add/Modify Local UNIX User"). There is a "Move Home Directory" checkbox, but this option is not ticked or required. The "Move" option if used works correctly, but I am trying to change the home directory to another existing location and leave the original home directory untouched.

I copied the dxaccounts binary from another server that is still running v5.1A. It did the same thing. I retested this situation on the server running v5.1A Patch Kit 04 and it left the original directories intact as you would expect.

I'll ring and report it.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,
did you just want to report the bug, or were you also looking for a workaround? If so, you could use usermod -d "newhome" "username" as an alternative. It also supports moving the files with -m.

just curious,

Michael
Peter Foster

Thanks. Now that I know abount the bug (feature) it is not too much of an issue. However, it has the potential to cause a lot of damage to anyone not knowing about it. Luckily I only deleted one UAT account's home directory early in the morning and was able to restore it immediately from tape before too many users experienced problems.

HP are investigating.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

If gui applications doesn't work use the classic well known shell commands - these tools work every time you need it!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }