1751970 Members
4541 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 LSM: using free space on already-allocated disk

Matt Hearn
Regular Advisor

Tru64 LSM: using free space on already-allocated disk

Hey all; I have an advfs filesystem that I need to expand. The filesystem currently sits on two volumes; one of those volumes is completely allocated, but the other has 7GB that's not allocated to any subdisk. The disk with the free space has four subdisks, one of which is allocated to the filesystem I need to expand.

I'm trying to figure out how to either increase the size of the subdisk (which I imagine will then allow me to use "mount -u -o expand" on the fileset), OR create a new subdisk that I can allocate to that fileset.

Unfortunately, I'm an HP-UX guy, totally new to Tru64, and LSM is making me cry bloody tears. It seems like I'm going to have to manipulate plexes, and I'm completely lost. I was hoping lsmsa would be able to do some of this stuff for me, but it looks like lsmsa is in some kind of mode where it'll show me information but not allow me to change anything (if I right-click a volume, the "resize" option is greyed out).

I've poked through the forums and have found stuff about "addvol," but I think using addvol would wipe out everything on the disk, which would be Very Bad. If anyone knows of a "How To Increase An AdvFS Filesystem For Dummies," I'd be thrilled to have the link. :)

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 LSM: using free space on already-allocated disk

Hi Matt,

Can you provide a bit more detail about how things are configured at the moment...Are you sure you're using LSM ?

For the file system in question what does the output of df -k show ?

If it's an AdvFS file system, then you should see the file domain and fileset listed:

# /mountpoint

Post the output of:

# showfdmn -k

If you just want to increase the available space in the domain, then addvol is probably what you need...

You might want to let us know what the underlying storage system is as well...

Cheers,

Rob
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 LSM: using free space on already-allocated disk

>>>one of those volumes is completely allocated, but the other has 7GB that's not allocated to any subdisk

Please send
#volprint -thg
#showfdmn

I would suggest to take a complete backup before doing anything.
>>>addvol would wipe out everything on the disk
addvol is safe and it wont create any problem.
Adding anything is never a problem !!!! ;)
You may refer
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_ACRO_DUX/ARH96DTE.PDF

Hope this would help.
BR,
Kapil
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......