108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 V5.1B Installation Problem on Alphaserver 4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Dittman
Frequent Advisor

Tru64 V5.1B Installation Problem on Alphaserver 4100

I have an Alphaserver 4100 that I normally use to run OpenVMS, but I wanted to load Tru64 for some tests. When I try to install Tru64 I get:

Machine Check Processor Fatal Abort
Machine check code = 0x980002

along with the rest of the dump. I can't find this code documented. I've attached the output from the power-on tests, boot attempt, show device, and show config outputs. What am I doing wrong?
4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

have you set the console variables correctly for Tru64 as described within the manual of the machine?

the given machine check code indicates a hardware problem. Have a look into the bootstrap:

pcm: DEGXA driver v1.0.6 NUMA
failed configuring ev7_ocla subsystem

this message indicates a ecu (eisa setup) problem. A degxa card will not be listed on the supported option list for 4100. Please rerun ecu and use "save and exit". Maybe you forget to run this utility within a firmware update? Be sure you have installed the latest firmware (important for the scsi controllers also).

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Eric Dittman
Frequent Advisor

I ran the ECU again and still got the same error. I've attached the list of the environment variables.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

have you checked firmware version? Are you sure using the correct version of ecu?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Eric Dittman
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I removed the CIPCA, ATM, and the dual SCSI controller. I am now installing Tru64. I am wondering if the CIPCA or ATM was the problem. The dual SCSI controller has been used under Tru64 on an Alphaserver 1000A, so I doubt that was the problem.

BTW, the two lines:

bcm: DEGXA driver V1.0.6 NUMA lanlog
failed configuring ev7_ocla subsystem

are still displayed, even though there is no DEGXA card. I think the second line is because the Alphaserver 4100 is not an EV7 system.