6074 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 V5.1b-3 missing bootable X11 install CD

Greiner Frank
Occasional Contributor

Tru64 V5.1b-3 missing bootable X11 install CD

Hi all,
Old Tru64 versions had a bootable operating system CD which started an X11 configuration/installation environment which operated on a MFS basis and allowed the partitioning of the hard disks and thereafter the OS installation. Can it be that the HP Tru64 5.1b-3 version does not have this X11 bootable install support (only NHD 7 is talked about) ? However the documentation "hp Tru64 UNIX installation guide" chpt.6 describes the X11 environment procedure install. Am I missing a CD-ROM from my delivery ?
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you should have a bootable operating system cd.

greetings,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

If you install NHD7, then a "full installation" will be made without givin a graphical gui.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
amrelsayed
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Yes, of course you are missing the OS bootable CD from your delivery.

Best Regards,
Amr
Try To Be Smart
Greiner Frank
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick reply but all I received with the workstation delivery was the following bootable CD which I hope contained the X11 gui install environment:
hp Tru64 UNIX operating system
volume 1 Disk 1 of 1 November 2002
AG-RHB5E-BE

The CD boots with the following command (as per instruction of the QUICK full Installation broschure) but results shortly afterwards in a DUMP:
>>>set boot_osflags ""
>>>boot dqa0

Also the boot with the GENERIC file results in a DUMP:
>>>boot -file GENERIC dqa0

These DUMPS start with the error messsage:
"This hardware platform is not supported by the kernel"

I really need a bootable installation possibility to partition the hard disk and customise the domains/filesets as a personal configuration.

Thanks
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

This is the reason booting the os-cd with boot link kernel from NHD cd, because your type of hardware won't be supported by generic 5.1B boot disk.

And as given within the manual of NHD, using the NHD will lead to a "FULL INSTALLATION" without X11 intervention.

The delivered kit will contain the GENERIC Tru64 5.1B kit, including a patchkit cd for -3 release and the NHD cd for special hardware. So the original documenation is included describing the way installing hardware without NHD requirements.

So if your intension is to create a rescue system use the boot tape mechanism after creating a bootable installation. In the admin guide is a description how to change partition (moving /opt etc) after installation.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Greiner Frank
Occasional Contributor

It is just strange as the documentation really describes the procedure with the X11 installation in detail , that is why I can't understand why this bootable install CD is not supplied. Thanks for the information but it seems that no other possibilty exists other than the Tape vdump/vrestore after performing the default OS installation under the NHD non-gui environment. It is very user unfriendly method and I hope I have enough Administrator knowledge to manually change all LINKS of the original installation to my new domain/fileset locations.
Bernard-Granger

try the following from SRM prompt :
>>>boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" {CDROM drive}
See section 4.2.2.1 from attachement
you need OS and NHD install disk.
Greiner Frank
Occasional Contributor

As mentioned above, the NHD CD only provides a non-X11 install and I was looking for the CD-ROM which starts the X11 installation environment as described in Chapter 6 of the documentation "hp Tru64 UNIX installation guide".