5192 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 v4.0f boot problem

Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Tru64 v4.0f boot problem

On boot up, I get the following msg:
INIT: command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
id: cons "/usr/sbin/getty" console console vt100.

I know this is from the inittab file and I've tried to boot in single user mode and mount the file sets to see what is in the inittab, but I am only able to perform the /sbin/bcheckrc and /sbin/update, but cannot get the/sbin/swapon -a cmd to work... it says the device doesn't exist...

We did have some hardware problems and a terminal was attached for RMC commands.... maybe something there was reset?
Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 v4.0f boot problem

You should check that all devices, specially disk has been detected, use the show dev SRM command:

>>> show dev

Verify that you can see all disks and devices connected.

If you changed an adapter, maybe the disk naming changed, and a new device was generated because the device naming in 4.0F depends of the SCSI ID and LUN numbering.

You should check that all dk* devices are detected as they where before the problem, or correct the entries in /etc/fstab and the links on /etc/fdmns to reflect the changes.

If you don't know the output from show device before the hardware problem, that will be a problem.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I usually got that error when it could not mount /usr. Could you please state os version and patch kit version? Please also tell us whether you use lsm.
Check in fstab or sysconfigtab what swap device is accessed with swapon -a

greetings,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

forget the os question.
Can you post fstab?

Michael
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all that responded... The problem was that an interface card had been replaced and I needed to re-build the kernel, using the boot -fi genvmunix...

That solved the problem... I would imagine that there were discrepancies in the system tables and what hardware was actually in the machine. During the process of determining what our hardware problem actually was, the system was rebooted with various cards removed, etc. After further discussions with hardware guys, we determined that rebuilding the kernel was the solution.