Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752599 Members
5146 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64UNIX v4.0f writing a disklabel to a drive connected to a KZPCC - /dev/rri0c

Andrew Rycroft
Advisor

Tru64UNIX v4.0f writing a disklabel to a drive connected to a KZPCC - /dev/rri0c

Hi,

I have a Tru64UNIX v4.0F with a KZPCC single port controller. I have installed the latest patch kit, and NHD CD. I can see the controller and disk drives from Tru64UNIX. I now want to write a disk label. When I do this, I get an "Unrecognised component type" message.

I have looked in the disktab file, and there is no ri device listed. How do I do this ?

With regards
Andrew
4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64UNIX v4.0f writing a disklabel to a drive connected to a KZPCC - /dev/rri0c

first, is the kzpcc-?? (?? is the exact model code) within the supported option list, correct slot, machtches the nhd kits, and if so what firmware and installation instructions are given within the supported option list?

If using this information installation should work without a problem.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Andrew Rycroft
Advisor

Hi,

This is a KZPCC-AC rev D01, firmware - CQ16.

I can see it from Tru64UNIX, and have followed the documentation, but the documentation does not seem to go as far as the writing of the disklabel.

I can see the RAID controller, and disk drives from Tru64UNIX.

Regards
Andrew
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Is this the syntax that you used ?:

# disklabel -rw ri0 rixx

/etc/disktab has been abandonned long agoo as repository for disk geometry. /etc/ddr.dbase and /etc/ddr.dbase have been introduced to play this role.

The kernel config file should contain at least 2 lines with the following syntax:
(slotnumber may vary)

bus i2o0 at pci2001 slot 4
controller i2o_bs0 at i2o0 slot 18

The file /etc/i2o_bs.db and i20_bs.db.bak are the keepers of the "ri" device numbering. If you find that it is ilogical, you may delete it and a reboot will recreate the file with the numbering starting a "0".(Don't do this if the bootdisk is on the KZPCC)
See also "man ri"

Have fun,
Johan.

_JB_
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

what kind of machine? Not all controllers are supported within each Alpha. It is not a question of "working" or "not working" it is a question if it is supported e.g. engineering qualified the part for the machine and have not reported any sideeffects.

So after checking the supported option list and the controller will be supported it is the next step to verify proper setup on s "unit" (storage) side.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }