4744 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: True 64 V5.1a NHD5 Orange Cameroun

meekrob
Super Advisor

True 64 V5.1a NHD5 Orange Cameroun

Dear All,

We appreciate your help regarding the below request.

We tried to install the tru64 v5.1A on the alpha DS25 system ( P/N: DA-57AAB-AA )
During the installation the system hung & dump and we got the below error .

" The system error is: Panic (CPU0) platform not supported by this kernel configuration"

After that, we've checked the specs of the DS25, we noticed that the min tru64 supported version is V5.1a NHD5 and we realised that it ciuld be the reason to get such message .
That is, we are wondering if we can get the version True 64 V5.1a along with NHD5 on one CD or we should have NHD5 on a separate CD
If so, please advise how to proceed to the installation specially that we got the above message during the installation?

Thanks a alot for your feedback

Suzanne
26 REPLIES 26
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Suzanne,

since 5.1A is going shortly or is already gone out of support, is there any reason, you can't install 5.1B-1
?

greetings,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Please use the NHD5 kit which is required (NHD4 doesn't work on DS25). Go to the manual, read and understand it!

Kit:
http://ftp.support.compaq.com/patches/public/unix/v5.1a/nhd/5.0/nhd5.tar.gz

Documentation:
NHD Kit has description on how to install the NHD Kit as a PFD in the DOC directory.

Solution:
Customer was able to install the OS on the DS25 using a prepared disk with an ufs filesystem and booting the OS CD with the documented flags:boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" described in the nhd5/DOC Subdirectory!

Voila!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }

Hi.

I have the same problem with a disk (with Tru64 5.1A) that I moved from a AlphaServer 1000A to a AlphaServer 4000.

I tried to boot from an old disk with a Tru64 4.0F and the same problem appears.

Then I tried to reinstall from a Tru64 5.1A CD set and I have the same problems.

Finally I tried to reinstall from a Tru64 4.0F CD set and I have no problems.

But I need to run from my disk with the Tru64 5.1A image. What I can do to fix this problem?

My AlpahServer 4000 has two 600MHz processors and 1GiB of RAM.

Cheers
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

cloning is not supported for Tru64 5.x versions. So moving a disk from a totally other machine to another one is at your own risk and not official supported by HP.

Have a look into the "best practice" section of http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com -> documentation explaining the official way.

Ok.

I tried:

1. boot the system with the 5.1a GENERIC kernel and got the same error
2. boot the system with the 5.1a CD-ROM and got the same error

What I can do to install the 5.1a in this system?

But, when I tried to boot this system with the 40f CD-ROM everything works fine.
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Andreas,

Did you put the latest SRM firmware on the AS4000 to start with ?

Could you please 'clear' the bootdef_dev variable in console mode and then boot the V5.1A CD
>>> set bootdef_dev ""
>>> boot -fl s dkxxx

Cheers,
Johan.

_JB_

Hi

Yes. I updated all the system with CD version 6.1. The AUTO_ACTION system variable is set as HALT. I used BOOT to unsure that I am using the correct device to boot the OS.

But why the GENERIC kernel is not working on the new system?

Cheers.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Be sure 5.1A supports your hardware (controllers, hardware etc.). This is easy by studying the release notes.

If your hardware is supported by 5.1A boot the CD-Rom and install the system. As written before, using a disk from a totally other system is unsupported and will not work without manual intervention (which is not supported, leading to an unsupported system without any support by HP).
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Andreas,

You missed a point here, it is NOT sufficient to give the correct boot device in the boot-command, you MUST ALSO clear the bootdef_dev before...!

By any chance, would this 4000 be a DEC4000
(codename Cobra) and not an AlphaServer 4000 ??

Johan.

_JB_