4933 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Trying to replicate Dell Unity Array LUN on HP-UX 11.31 servers

Tom Wolf_3
Valued Contributor

Trying to replicate Dell Unity Array LUN on HP-UX 11.31 servers

Hello all.

Our SAN team is trying to replicate a 200 GB Dell Unity Array LUN from a HP-UX 11.31 server at our main data center to an HP-UX 11.31 server at our DR site across town.

We created a volume group, logical volume, and file system on the HP-UX 11.31 server LUN at our main data center.

We then used the HP-UX 11.31 vgexport command to create a map file of that volume group, copied it over to the HP-UX DR server, and then tried to import it.

We keep getting this error:

# vgimport -vsN -m map_vgdell2 vgdell2
Beginning the import process on Volume Group "vgdell2".
Couldn't access the list of physical volumes for volume group "/dev/vgdell2".

Here's the contents of the map file.

# cat map_vgdell2
MAPFILE02
VGID A000000000000000aFri Feb 14 18:02:42 2020a3c632b7-7dd3-11e1-9183-a1996122d061
1 lvdell2

vgdell2 is the name of the volume group.

lvdell2 is the name of the logical volume on that volume group.

We're using the 's' flag with the vgimport command to scan each of the disks connected to
the DR system.

Based on the error, it does not seem to be finding the LUN replicated from the other HP-UX server at the main data center but it does appear in the "ioscan -fnNC disk" output executed on the DR server, so it is there.

Could someone familiar with Dell Unity Array replication on HP-UX share their thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

I can't imagine we're the only ones attempting this but maybe I'm wrong.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks everyone!

1 REPLY 1
Mani_Np
HPE Pro

Re: Trying to replicate Dell Unity Array LUN on HP-UX 11.31 servers

Hello.

If you are already aware of the disk name, you can remove "s" flag and try to import the volume group mentioning the diskname as mentioned below:

# vgimport -v -m map_vgdell2 vgdell2 /dev/disk/diskX /dev/disk/diskY ..

Regards,
Manikandan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo