1751860 Members
5557 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 eth0 problem

wobbe
Respected Contributor

Ubuntu 9.04 eth0 problem

Last week I installed 9.04 + hpsmh on a DL380G5. I was working fine when the weekend started, but this moring the console is full of the following error messages.

bnx2: Chip reset did not complete
bnx2: eth0: BUG! Tx ring full when queue awake!

These two messages keeps popping up on the monitor every 5 seconds. When I hit enter I see the command prompt but 5 seconds is not a lot of time to do anything.
My guess it could be some power save feature that kicked in over the weekend.

4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check this link :

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=484667

yes of course its on Redhat nut the solution should be the same for UBUNTU.

mikap
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The message indicates the eth0 NIC is in a state its driver cannot handle. It might be a hardware problem, or it might be that the driver cannot quite handle this specific version of the NIC correctly.

If you're on the console, run "ifdown eth0". If there are other NICs using the same driver, shutdown them too. Then use "modprobe -r bnx2" to unload the module (and all its dependent modules, if any), and "modprobe bnx2" to reload it. This is the most complete reset procedure you can do to the NIC and its driver without actually rebooting the system.

If the unloading + reloading the module helps, use the ifup command to restart the NIC(s) again.

If it doesn't help, you could try shutting down the system and removing power for a while, then rebooting. If that does not help either, it's probably a hardware fault.

If rebooting the system helps, see if your kernel is up to date. The standard version of the NIC driver is included in the Linux kernel package.

MK
MK
wobbe
Respected Contributor

There is definitly something goning wrong with the NIC. The first thing I tried was restarting the network. But the server didn't finish the command. (/etc/init.d/networking restart)
Out of frustration I then hit ctrl+alt+del. The server said is was going to reboot but in the end I had to walk to the serverroom and power off the server.
After the reboot everthing is fine again.
So far I only did an apt-get upgrade but I don't expect this tp fix the problem.
I guess it's just a matter of time before this problem shows up again.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

No problems after this weekend. Looks like the update fixed the problem. Or perhaps it was the reboot.