108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to Login Part 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Beng Koon Ang

Unable to Login Part 2

Hi to all,

I'm currently having some problems. Seems that my oracle account in dba group can't login at all. It says "No Directory" everytime I attempted to run "su - oracle".

Just saw a similar thread posted by Muthamilan. Any bright ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to Login Part 2

Hi,

you want to run pwchk and grpchk to detect any anomalies in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
First thing to check would the existance of the home directory. Also try to search with the search machine here.
Has it ever worked?

greetings,

Michael
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Is it a local or NIS user?. Also, check the permissions on the home directory.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

"No Directory" usually means that the user has asigned a HOME Directory that does not exists or the permissions for that directory are wrong. If it is a local account, you can edit the /etc/passwd file to change the home directory or the usermod command (preffered).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Beng Koon Ang

Hi to all,

Ok, I did run the pwck and grpck commands but no anomalies detected. At least, not the ones that I'm looking for pertaining to the oracle uid and its dba gid.

I think the oracle uid should be a local account? How do I find out that it's a NIS user?

Anyway, the /etc/passwd as follows:

oracle:XXXXXXXXX:15:399:Oracle:/prods/oracle:/bin/csh
oratool:XXXXXXXX:16:399:Oracle Tool:/prods/oratool:/bin/csh

The /etc/group as follows:

dba:*:399:oratool,oracle

ls -al of / :

drwxr-xr-x 7 root system 8192 Jul 16 13:45 prods

ls -al of /prods :

drwxr-x--x 12 oracle dba 8192 Jul 17 15:18 oracle
drwxr-x--x 3 oratool dba 8192 Feb 16 2004 oratool

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that one time I had an error similar, everything seems ok but did not worked, try running the commands:

usermod -H /prods oracle
usermod -H /prods oratool

It seems that has no sense but this solved the problem for me once (as far as remember).

Or try using the usermod to change the oratool home to another directory, just for test.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Ivan,

But the home directories are /prods/oracle and /prods/oratools here. So, the '-H' should reflect that right?

rgds,
blv
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The -H specifies the parent directory for the home directory, so you have to specify the parent directory, in this case, /prods.

Then a directory with the username beneath this directory will be used as home. So:

-H DIRECTORY

Means that USERNAME will have a home directory DIRECTORY/USERNAME.
Beng Koon Ang

I've just used sysman -menu command to go inside and see what's wrong. Apparently, nothing seems to be wrong and is exactly what is being showed on my /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

I've even tried creating another user called ABK with home directory pointing elsewhere at /ABK. It's primary group is dba but this account also faces the same problem of "No Directory!" whenever I attempted to login or run the su command.

Seems that all other user accounts are affected and face the same problem except root.

Any of you guys know of any more suggestions, pls kindly tell me.

Regards.

BK
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Has the / filesystem the following permissions?

drwxr-xr-x 35 root system 8192 Jul 21 15:10 /

It seems that a parent directory permissions restric the access to the home directory.

So, verify that 755 is set for all directories in the path, starting with /.