108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to add Samsung Printer to local spooler

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kathy Kope
Advisor

Unable to add Samsung Printer to local spooler

I am trying to add a Samsung printer to the local spooler on HP-UX RP3440 server using hppi/jetdirect and get the following error:

Enter the network printer name or IP address (q - quit): 172.25.30.167

!! 172.25.30.167 is NOT an acceptable name!!
Either it is NOT a network printer or this host is denied access to it!!

I can ping the samsung printer and it is in DNS. The following network settings have been set up on the printer:

Ethertalk - disabled
SLP - disabled
Raw TCP/IP Printing - enabled Port 9100
LPR/LPD - enabled Port 515
IPP - enabled Printer URI: http://172.25.30.167:631
IP filtering - disabled
UPnP - Auto IP - disabled
Multicast DNS - enabled
SSDP - enabled
SSDP TTL - 1

The response center stated that Samsung printers are not compatible with the HPPI, given that HP does not handle model scripts for non-HP printers. From the HP side, there is no supported method to configure a Samsung printer to the HP spooler system.

I have tried the following:

1. Take Samsung printer offline
2. Assign samsung IP to a working HP LJ device
3. use hppi to configure the HP device as a PCL-3 compliant printer.
4. Reset the HP printer to original IP
5. Bring the actual Samsung back online

Wella - it printed just fine.

So, I guess the real question is "What are the manual steps for configuring a generic network-based IP (PCL-3 compliant) device in hp-ux? (since hppi will not proceed when it can't identify a device as an HP device?).

Thanks,
Kathy
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The hppi utility tries to use SNMP to identify the printer model. Apparently it goes off in a huff if it won't get a response to its SNMP query.

See "man addqueue".

In particular, use "addqueue -l" to get a list of known printer types, select the closest matching one and then use the "-i " to manually select the correct type. This will bypass the auto-detection step.

In my version of hppi, "addqueue -l" lists "Generic PCL3 printer" as PrinterID 9997, so the command to add your printer would be something like:

addqueue -i 9997 -h 172.25.30.167 -q printername

Other options might be useful if you need extra logging/banner page/duplexing/whatever, see the man page.

The "hppi" command is actually just a script that ultimately calls addqueue to do the real work :-)

MK
MK
F Verschuren
Esteemed Contributor

hppi on the command line does not check the printer, so if you add the printer on the command line you do not have this problem.
why this was happening is properly a bug in the Samsung printer So I guess you must ask the questing to a samsung "forum"
like:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/printer-support/47580-sharing-samsung-printer-network.html
Kathy Kope
Advisor

Thanks Matti! That solved my problem!
Kathy Kope
Advisor

Thanks Matti! That resolved my issue!