1753710 Members
4632 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to eject cdrom manually or via command line on Linux server

frederick hannah
Super Advisor

Unable to eject cdrom manually or via command line on Linux server

I unmounted a cdrom using "umount -l" but attempts to to manually eject the medium fails. I used the umount -l option since the basic umount command always returned "device busy". I can remount the disk without a problem. I just cant get it out of the server. The "eject -d" command doesnt work, either. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
prasadb
Super Advisor

hello frederick hannah ..

>>the basic umount command always returned "device busy".

it seems that you are on the same mount point,

you might have done cd /mnt (the mounted point) may in the other session..

please check it out..

frederick hannah
Super Advisor

I have unmount the cdrom, but i cant get it to eject manually or through the software
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well as this seems to have nothing to do with HP-UX, I am moving it to a more appropriate forum
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

get a paper clip and use it to open the cdrom drive.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You've done a "lazy" umount.

Now you'll need to find what is still holding the device open. It might be some process: run "lsof | grep ".

Before doing a lazy umount, the fuser command might have found out the culprit easily: "fuser -m ". Adding the -k option would have killed any process(es) hanging onto the mountpoint. I'm not sure if the fuser command works after a lazy umount.

If you had the cdrom exported as a NFS filesystem, the kernel itself may be hanging on to the cdrom. The lsof command might not be able to detect that. Unexport the cdrom mountpoint, or simply run "exportfs -ar" to refresh the NFS export state to match the current filesystem state.

MK
MK
Nuwan Alwis
Valued Contributor

Try if any luck with "eject" command
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

Using the "lazy" umount command was a last resort as none of the other mentioned commands worked. I know this is a bit extreme, but I see rebooting as the only option left.
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Hello

Probably your CDROM drive has a firmware bug and unlocking/ejecting the tray is someway broked. I have two drives doing the same after writing of some DVDs or CDs.