7263 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to log in with ADS user and password

Firebird_1
Occasional Contributor

Unable to log in with ADS user and password

Hello,

I'm having a problem. Whenever I try to log on to my Linux box using a user from the ADS, it will reply "Access denied" and prompt me for the password again.

I know that the password is correct and it allows me to log in if I use a local user.

The getent passwd and getent groups commands both work properly as does the wbinfo command.

There must be something I'm missing.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The getent uses only the nsswitch.conf configuration to obtain the user and group list.

Probably, your pam configuration is not correct. If you use a Red Hat based distro, you can use system-config-authentication to configure PAM for ADS support.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Firebird_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

However, when I attempt to click on the configure Winbind button the resulting configuration menu is somehow set to permanently on bottom which in and of itself would not be a problem if not for the fact that selecting the "OK" button (or any button) on that menu dues nothing but freeze the whole app unless I close the menu.

I know that my server is connected to the network (I can remote access to the server but only to local accounts).

Thanks again for the quick reply
Firebird_1
Occasional Contributor

Problem was some bad syntax in the smb.conf file. I found it during a rewrite of all the related files.