108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to ping the HP UNIX server

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Trilok,

Is this a Data Protector issue.....???

Your problem is obviously resolution, which it happens Data Protector is VERY sensitive about. DP requires perfection is reverse lookups.

So, confirm your /etc/hosts file is accurate on all boxes involved. You say you can get over to remote on some servers and then go the other one (least I think that's what you said). So check all your boxes for hostfile accuracy. Then make sure your /etc/nsswitch.conf is right. Most folks have:
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue]dns

So if your hostfile is right - you need to check DNS. If you don't run DNS, then confirm with the person who does that by having do reverse lookups for every server involved, it's hostname,IP and yes alias works correctly. Check every DNS server that might get used. If it's Windows DNS, and they are anything like the guys, they hate to hear me say - check reverse lookups for host/IP/alias. But that is usually where I find the issue. (not always..just usually)

Hope this helps,
Rita
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I don't know which port the omni service is running on but, in an enterprise environment, firewall's usually block access to ports that are not standard. Not being able to register a service might be caused by not being able to access that service's port. Check with your network people and make sure firewall is not blocking this connection.

>When I try run xomni command to get the GUI mode in windows XP system

You created another thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1346466