108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to print a PS v2.0 file on a HP LaserJet 9040n

Jos├й L. Marcos
Occasional Advisor

Unable to print a PS v2.0 file on a HP LaserJet 9040n

[I know this is a cross-post message ! I do apologize in advance...]

Hi *,

I'm facing a problem with printing of a postcript Level2 file on a LaserJet 9040n (file attached to this post).
The file is generated through a graphic application (based on Ilog Views) on HPUX 11.23 machine

Basically, I can't get this file to print on the LJ9040n.

I've tried to define the printer using hppi utility (HP Jet-Direct E.10.34) with different drivers :

- net_lj8150 (former driver used with previous printer) : the file is in printing state forever on the printer. We need to cancel it under HPUX, and on some occasions to power off/on the printer in order to go back to normal operations...

- net_lj9040 / net_lj9050 : with both drivers, the file is simply ignored ! I've configured the queue to print a banner, and the only thing i get is precisely the banner page...

I'm stuck !

Any help apreciated...
12 REPLIES 12
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Hello,

Have you tried flashing the printer firmware. there was an update published in June this year .

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=446405&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=446406&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

Also unusually there are two drivers listed in the model scripts list try this one which is more recent:

net_ljM9040MFP.sh.Z 4/01/08

at

http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html

I hope this might be of some use

Mike
Help is out there always!!!!!
Jos├й L. Marcos
Occasional Advisor

Hello Mike,

I upgraded the printer firmware, and tried the suggested driver (net_ljM9040MFP.sh.Z 4/01/08).

With "normal net_lj9040 driver", the behaviour of the printer is the same : banner printed, but no output for the PS file.

With "suggested driver", I simply cannot define the printer ! :-( No error message from hppi tool.

Rgds,

Jose L.
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Hello Jose,
Well that used up one of my tricks.
Since I do not have one of those here I can't try these for you but they may help .

If unix does not use any fancy MFP features try using the net_ljx000 which often works for most hp printers.

Have a look at the printer config web page (or front panel). Is post script disabled in the printer ?

The web page error/event log may also give you a clue as to where it is hanging .

Mike

Jos├й L. Marcos
Occasional Advisor

Dear Mike,

PS is enabled.

I have enable also "PS error printing", and bingo !

Here is what I get :

---8<---
ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMQND: @PJL "@PJL" COMMAND TYPE: nametype

OPERAND STACK: (0 total entries)

DICTIONARY STACK: (3 total entries)
===top of stack===
userdict
globaldict
systemdict

EXECUTION STACK: (6 total entries)
===top of stack===
@PJL
-filestream-
{ --exit_job--}
--@stopped--
{ --interrupts_no-- { false --setglobal-- --interrupts_reset-- { --cleardictstack-- -dictionary- --begin-- -dictionary- --begin-- } --exec-- ...} --stopped-- { -dictionary- /endjob true --put-- } --if-- ...}
--@exec--

BYTES FROM CURRENTFILE BEFORE ERROR:
@PJL

BYTES FROM CURRENTFILE AFTER ERROR:
SET PAPER=LETTER^J%!PS-ADOBE-2.0^JCreator: IlogViews Dump module [rest of printed file deleted]

---8<---

I must confess that this is chinese to me ! All I understand, is that the PostScript Level 3 interpreter of the LaserJet 9040 printer does not like my PostScript v2.0 file...

Rgds,
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"@PJL "

I don't believe that IS PostScript...I suspect that it is HP PJL (aka Printer Job Language.

you may have to give the "lp" command something like "-o ps". not sure of the exact syntax, as I don't have one. there should be a man page "net_lj9x" "net_lj9000" or similar. take a look for an option that forces PS output
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your Postscript file is fine but the printer is an MFP (read: not just a printer). The PJL language is prepended automatically by the printer script (there are no printer drivers in HP-UX, just simple scripts) but apparently the PJL code is not recognized by the printer. Try printing with the -oraw option (don't use the -ops option). That should suppress the PJL codes. If that works, you'll need to contact HP for a corrected printer script.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Jose,
Now that I have seen the error message, set the printer personality to auto this should enable the printer to switch between PJL/PCL from the model script and the Post Script from your program .

The raw option should also work. If your printer is PS only it will then be exclusively for PS files .

Under the option
Additional printer configuration in the hppi dialog you may be able to set the PS level, type the option number it will switch from from one to the other .

The last line shown implies that the model script is defaulting to letter size paper . If, like most of us, your printer is A4 set override A4/Letter to yes and auto continue to yes in the printer. The default paper size may be settable in the hppi dialog but not all model scripts permit it.
(Note to HP: Please set the printer paper size to default to A4 or fix hppi so that it allows us to choose for every printer )

Mike
Jos├й L. Marcos
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

All the settings you've suggested are already set.

Conecerning changing 'PS Level' through hppi dialog, there's no other possibility than Postscript Level 3 (under additional parameters)

Rgds,
Jos├й L. Marcos
Occasional Advisor

To Bill,

option -oraw does not work either, printer prints thes same PS error than the one already posted in this thread.

Rgds,