4327 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to print a PS v2.0 file on a HP LaserJet 9040n

BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Hello,
I think I have found the cause of the problem on page 8 of the user guide it says only the Post Script 3 personality is supplied by default.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00191861/c00191861.pdf

I would call HP and ask them for a post script 2 flash for it if there is one available. A quick search of the web site does not reveal one though.

another possibility . Will your application generate the output as a PDF file since this printer appears to accept direct PDF file printing .
You could try posting a question about post script compatibility for this printer range on the business support forum.

I am sorry I could not be of more help.

Please let us know if does turn out to be a printer capability issue

Mike
Help is out there always!!!!!
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Bill H: "Try printing with the -oraw option (don't use the -ops option). That should suppress the PJL codes."

that's what I was hoping the *-o ps* would accomplish. According to the specs, the printer accepts PJL and PS level 3. My thought was that PJL was getting "prepended" to the PS file, thus confusing the automatic language switching in the print engine....
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> that's what I was hoping the *-o ps* would accomplish. According to the specs, the printer accepts PJL and PS level 3. My thought was that PJL was getting "prepended" to the PS file, thus confusing the automatic language switching in the print engine....

-o ps actually turns on an ASCII text to PS converter. It's purpose was to print ASCII text to a Postscript-only printer.

Since this printer understands PJL, it should not be misinterpreting the PJL as Postscript does. This of course assumes that the PJL from the net_lj9040 script is valid. Try using net_ljx000, a general purpose LaserJet script.

To get rid of all PJL codes and just send the PS file, use hpnpf:

hpnpf -x 12.34.56.78 -n myfile.ps

The hpnpf program is the one that actually sends the file to the printer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin