108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to see volume groups and lvol's on system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darrell Albee
Advisor

OK vgscan worked and I now have VG00 back. I had two other volume groups that I need to get back. VG01 and VG02. When I ran the vgscan command it told me to run the vgimport command. What switches do I need to use with the vgimport command? When I issue the vgimport command with no switches on /dev/vg01 and /dev/vg02 I get "Unable to read the physical volume". I did not have a backup. As I stated in my initial statement this is a new system and I know it was dumb to do anything without a backup. I wanted to get the system setup and then do a backup. This is a leason learned for me. Is there a way to get my VG01 and VG02 volume groups back?
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

Hello Darrel,

If you know the physical volume paths you can use them with the vgimport command

#vgimport -v /dev/vg01 >pvpath2>

If you have successfully created the lvmtab file with vgscan , then you can obtain the pvpaths from the lvmtab file.

Once vgimport succeeeds, activate the vg with

#vgchange -a y vg01

Hope this helps..
Darrell Albee
Advisor

The vgimport command fails. I've attached a document with a screnshot of what is happening with the vgimport command.
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I could see that you have ran vgimport on an LV..instead that should be run on a disk

#vgimport -v /dev/vg01
Darrell Albee
Advisor

I have successfully run the vgimport and vgchange commands but I still do not see the volume groups. Do I need to reboot the system now that those commands have run successfully?
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

No its not required. can u paste the o/p from

#strings /etc/lvmtab

#ls -l /etc/lvmconf*
Darrell Albee
Advisor

Attached is a document with the output of the commands as requested. Thank you.
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

lvmtab has the entries of both vg01/vg02

/dev/vg01
/dev/dsk/c4t0d0
/dev/vg02
/dev/dsk/c4t1d0

Also the vg conf files are those of june and not recent..

-r-------- 1 root sys 61440 Jun 14 14:44 vg01.conf
-r-------- 1 root sys 61440 Jun 14 14:40 vg01.conf.old
-r-------- 1 root sys 61440 Jun 14 14:54 vg02.conf
-r-------- 1 root sys 61440 Jun 14 14:52 vg02.conf.old

So if activating VG succeeds, then then should be available.

If not,then there is an other option that you can try..since the vg01/vg02 conf files are existing you can restore the VG.

#vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0

#vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg02 /dev/dsk/c4t1d0

Darrell Albee
Advisor

before you replied I had rebooted and VG01 is okay now but VG02 is still not visisble. When I issue the command vgcfgrestore for vg02 as you instructed I get the following message: vgcfgrestore: Cannot restore Physical Volume "/dev/dsk/c4t1d0", Detach the PV or deactivate the VG, before restoring the PV. How do I detach or deactivate VG02?
Darrell Albee
Advisor

When I look in SAM under Logical Volumes the attached is what I get now. The ones highlighted in black I don't think belong there. Is it okay to remove them or should I wait until everything is okay with VG02?