4576 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unaligned access pid

Neeraj Bajpai
Advisor

Unaligned access pid

Hi All
I am getting Unaligned access pid=438691 error in my /tmp directory, this error is created as special files and i am not able to delete this files. I dont know what is this error and why any process creating there.

I tried to check the process by fuser /tmp and till the time i check the process it goes from the process table.

How can I check which process is creating this special file and how can i get rid of this.

some time fuser /tmp dont show me any process running on this file system but Unalligned access pid continuesly changing its PID ??

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Unaligned access pid

Messages like

Unaligned access pid=6103 va=0x1400eb033 pc=0x12030b2208

Analysis:

Unaligned access messages are informational in nature, and occur due to a data item which is not on its natural boundary. The operating system, by default, will fix the problem and give the unaligned access messages. Typically, such errors are not a problem, and can be ignored. Sometimes, an excess number of messages signals a poorly written program with potential performance problems.

You can disable this message by using the uac command.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Neeraj Bajpai
Advisor

thanks for reply but i am getting this error only in my /tmp directory. when i disable the mesg. via uac i see "? # 5? i? manabceaa sh390642gaQy0" a special file which i can not delete and when i enable the "uac" my "ls" command retrun this error ... ?
Unaligned access pid=37255 va=0x140074e1d pc=0x120022650 ra=0x120014170 inst=0xa0e00004

i.e my ls command giving this error or it is a some OS bug !!

any idea what is this !!
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it seems to be an application or hardware specific problem. Btw. have you checked binary.errlog for hardware issues (maybe a cpu problem)?

what happend if you are in single user mode? does the problem also occure?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Normally the "Unaligned access" messages, caused by the badly coded APPLICATION, appear on the terminal that launched the application.
I suspect that the application has no tty attached anymore and redirects stderr to /tmp.

For what reason do you call this file in /tmp "special", because it has a p, b or c in the first column of the 'ls -l'output , or because it has a name with strange characters ?
If rm does not work because of the special characters, you probably wil have to use "rm *" in /tmp (or in single user mode, "rm -r /tmp" and recreate /tmp/

Johan.

_JB_
Neeraj Bajpai
Advisor

Ralf and Jphan
You both looking the problem in a right way it seems to me...

Ralf, i already opend a call in HP for this problem but they are taking some time because of some admin. problem, but few days back my machine crashed stating "panic (cpu 12): vm_pg_alloc: page not free" but local HP is doubting on one patch "001163" which corret this problem but they did not indicated any hardware problem.

John, as I said in my previous mail that if i used fuser /tmp i dont see any process on /tmp and that is why I m not able to understand which program is using this file, and how this file is created in /tmp, and more funny thing when i sey "ls" under the /tmp directory it repeats the "Unassgined error for the ls command"

sorry for writing confusing word actaully i mean a strange file created in /tmp as i mentioned above, i tried to delete this file as you said but nothing work, i think i have to delete this in single user mode.

PS: John as you said there is no tty assigned to this prog. that is why it is redirecting to /tmp, if this is the case then why i am seeing "Unassgined" when using ls command