target 9 0/2/1/0.1 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
unknown -1 0/2/1/0.1.0 UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN HP Ultrium 1-SCSI
target 12 0/2/1/0.7 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE

7 REPLIES 7
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Unclaimed device

I assume this is a tape device. You probably need to add in the stape driver to the kernel
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Do you have the stape driver configured in the kernel?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

kmsystem | grep stape

If you see an "N" it's not..
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Ralf Buchhold
Regular Advisor

Thanks
after including the stape driver
the Ultrium1-SCSI is claimed

but the C7145 device is unclaimed

Any idea ?
Thanks
Ralf
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

add the schgr driver.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

C7145 appears to be "DLT Autoloader 1/9", i.e. the autochanger mechanism for your storage device. "HP Ultrium 1-SCSI" is the actual tape drive.

You need to configure some drivers to your OS kernel. For the tape drive, the correct driver is "stape". For the autochanger mechanism, it's a bit more complex:

- Some programs will construct "raw" SCSI commands and transmit them to the autochanger device using the SCSI pass-through driver (see man scsi_ctl). Normally it is not needed to configure any drivers for this: it is enabled by default. If you use only this, the C7145 device will be shown as UNCLAIMED, but it will still work. The "mc" command of the OS will use this interface. The device path for this method of access will be of the form /dev/scsi/c#t#d#.

- Other programs may use the specific "autochanger" interface of HP-UX (see "man autochanger"). For that, you'll need to configure the "schgr" driver module to your kernel. This driver will CLAIM the C7145 device in the ioscan listing. The device path for this method of access will be of the form /dev/rac/c#t#d#.

If your applications all use the "raw SCSI" method of access, there might be no reason to configure the "schgr" driver to the kernel. It's perfectly possible to use both interfaces: you may need the schgr driver for running diagnostics on your device, and the "raw SCSI" interface for your backup application.

To enable the driver(s):
Start SAM, go to Kernel configuration section. Pick the interface of your choice. In the Modules section of the configuration tool, enable the above-mentioned module(s). If necessary, reboot.
MK
Ralf Buchhold
Regular Advisor

ok it works
thanks so much
Ralf