New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unconfigure network interface using kudzu on RH ES3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Leung_2
Advisor

Unconfigure network interface using kudzu on RH ES3

Hi,

Any expert knows whether I can force kudzu to unconfigure and configure my LAN interface on RedHat Linux ES 3.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Yes you can do it.

kudzu is reading network interface informations using /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* details and do action of configure / unconfigure.

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

you can use kudzu to identify and automatically set what driver to load for your network card.

but if you want to configure IP address (DHCP/static, DNS, router etc) then you have to use either 'redhat-config-network' script or 'netconfig' script from the root prompt.

Hope this helps,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Eric Leung_2
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

In fact, I came across a situation that the driver of my network card could be successfully loaded during boot up. However, when I use ifconfig, it reported that there was no such device. These all happened after I restored my system backup from Omniback. I tried to reboot again but the problem did not go away.

I removed my network card from the server. Kudzu successfully unconfigured the card. When I put the card back, after automatic configuration by Kudzu, everything is now fine again.

I just wonder if this happens again, how can I solve the problem without using screw-driver to remove the card.

It would be even better if someone can tell me why my network card malfunction after restore of system backup and the solution.
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

Incase your network is not configured (although kudzu loaded the driver) then you can manually configure it using 'netconfig' or 'redhat-config-network' scripts provided by RedHat.

For your case, only reason I could think of now is your backup/restore application. May be omniback intentionally deactivates the network so that there will not be any duplicate IP address clash on the network (eg: you have both source server from where you backed up and the destination server where you restored)

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should not rely on kudzu.

All you need to do to configure/unconfigure a network interface is edit the following files:

/etc/modprobe.conf

You have a line

alias ethX modulename

For every network interface adapter. That loads the module.

And a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX

With the values for device (DEVICE) the ip address (IPADDR) and netmask (NETMASK)

To "unconfigure the adapter", remove the line from modprobe.conf. To change network settings, edit the files ifcfg-ethX. The DEVICE parameter in these files are very important.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?