4846 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade fro v11 to v11i

Alex Ferreira
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade fro v11 to v11i

Hey all,

nice easy one for all you unix super stars. I have a server currently running hp-ux v11. I have been asked to upgrade the beast to 11i.

My question is, will an upgrade only upgrade the OS and will it keep everything else? Ie apps etc etc.

I have already created an ignite tape just incase..

Appreciate your responses..

Cheers,

Alex
4 REPLIES 4
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade fro v11 to v11i

Hi Alex,

If you have application dependency then first check whih application team.

Upgrading the OE
To upgrade 11.11 to a higher-level OE, say, from 11i Enterprise OE to 11i Mission Critical
OE, you must first purchase the new HP-UX 11i Mission Critical OE media from HP. Then
use update-ux to add the Mission Critical OE software bundle to your server from those CDs.
To upgrade from the HP-UX 11i Enterprise OE to the Mission Critical OE, insert an HP-UX
11i Mission Critical OE CD1 in the CD drive (for example mounted at /cdrom) and enter:
# /usr/sbin/update-ux -s /cdrom HPUX11i-OE-MC
When the update is complete, the Mission Critical OE will be installed and the original HPUX
11i OE bundle wrapper will be removed.

Suraj
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Hi,

The update process will keep all of your non-system files.
Please be aware that, if you want (depending on you) and if you can (depending on your machine) update to a 64 bit version of HP-UX, you have to explicitly declare the 64 bit option to update-ux ( -a 64 ).

Cheers,
Enrico
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Alex,
Any Non system files will not be changed, however, I would advise you to do a full install and not an upgrade, if at all possible. Upgrades tend to create more problems then they solve. Just some friendly advise.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alex,

as noted by others already, sometimes a cold install is the better choice.

If you say "hp-ux v11" I assume you talk about 11.00, but 11i is everything later:

11iv1 11.11
11iv2 11.23
11iv3 11.31

First you should check if your server and all of your devices are supported by the new version. Some devices (HBA, ...) are for example supported with 11.11, but not with 11.23 or later.

Some links to start from:

http://docs.hp.com/en/9529/hpux_io_devices.htm

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12079_na/12079_na.HTML#Hardware%20Requirements

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11729_div/11729_div.HTML

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!