New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading HP-UX 11.23 from June07 to December07

SOLVED
Go to solution
compiler
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading HP-UX 11.23 from June07 to December07

Hi.

I'm new with HP-UX. I have 2 inherited machines: the first runs HP-UX 11.23 June 2007 and the second one runs HP-UX 11.23 December 2007.

It seems that the latest of them was installed a few months after the first one directly using December 2007 INSTALL CDs, because swagentd log doesn't shows any major "update". I mean that they doesn't installed June2007 and then upgraded. Seems a clean Dec2007 install.

My question is ...

What's the best way to upgrade (if possible, don't reinstalling) the June2007 machine to December2007 and leave both machines almost similar?

I know how to download and install single or multiple patches from ITRC, but I don't know what should I download to upgrade the entire O.S. to Dec2007.

Maybe there is an update CD and something like "swinstall -s /cdrom *"?

Is there any command similar to Linux Debian's "apt-get upgrade"?

Is done by downloading a big executable and executing it?

I noticed also that there are CDs including only patches, (not O.S. enhancements), so I don't fully understand the best way to keep both machines almost identical (by upgrading my June2007 machine, both patches and o.s. commands).

Thanks for any help :)
11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Upgrading HP-UX 11.23 from June07 to December07

Hi,

before you begin, always make sure you have a good backup.

For updating the OS from one revision to another (e.g. june to december), you should use update-ux.

more info here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-1978/index.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Go to http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releasePage.do?BC=main|releaseIndexPage|&releaseId=0712-11.23, it has all the stuff you need to update to Dec. 2007. You can download them into a big bundle and installed them easily.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

You could use 'update-ux' (see the manpages for more information) to move from June to December, using the latest Operating Environment DVDs; or:

You could apply the latest patch bundles:

http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?BC=main|

OR: you could use the Software Assistant Tool to download and install the latest patch bundles:

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6834AA

My choice would probably be to use SWA on *both* machines to bring them to current patch levels.

Regards!

...JRF...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Patching and upgrading is NOT the same.

I try to keep it simple.

You have a component in 11.23 or 11.31 in version 1, but you want to have version 2 of this component.

Patching will fix problems in this version 1, but it is still version 1. In order to get version 2, you need to update.

To meet some requirements (e.g. for HPVM) or get new features (e.g. LVM 2.1 in 11.31) you need to use update-ux.

See my example:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1241964

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

compiler
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all for your answers.

So, then ... PATCHING != UPGRADING.

In order to move my O.S. to Bundle 2007 Dec, I must apply not only patches but also "software enhacements" and new package versions.

Does update-ux do this automatically? What's the media (cd, dvd, network...) that update-ux uses as a source for the upgrade? It will ask me for the December2007 *INSTALL* CD or a CD that HP must submit to me?

I mean, are different media CDs such as "patch cds" vs "update cds"? How do I identify the right media I need to UPDATE (not just patch) to Dec2007? Is that media the "Dec2007 Install CD"? :?

Is the Support Plus CD simply a patch cd? I'm supposed to receive "Upgrade CDs" from HP? :?

As you can see, I have lots of doubts about the cds I'm going to receive from HP :(
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just refer to the manual link I posted earlier - there are step-by-step instructions.

Short version:

swinstall "Update-UX" from the december 2007 media and execute. This utility will install all needed software from this media.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

While I agree with Torsten and was remiss in not better defining the stict differences, in the case of June 2007 versus December 2007, I think I would use SWA and apply the June 2008 standard bundles.

If you want to be very exact, use the 'update-ux' as suggested and then patch both machines to June 2008 using SWA to fetch standard patch bundles and any patches with warnings and/or critical issues. Follow, too, the advisories that SWA will offer for non-patch products.

Regards!

...JRF...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Regarding the changes you can have a look at this:

In the following summaries, you can obtain a general picture of how the December 2007 release of HP-UX 11i v2 differs from the June 2007 release of HP-UX 11i v2.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-1968/ch03s02.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

compiler
Frequent Advisor

Torsten said:
> swinstall "Update-UX" from the december 2007 media and execute.

Do you mean the Install CD?

When you buy HP-UX, does HP send you both "patches cd" and "updates cd" in a regular basis?

James R. Ferguson said:
> I think I would use SWA and apply the June 2008 standard bundles.

I must stick to December2007 in both machines, that's why I'm upgrading the June2007 machine to Dec2007... I know that there is a June2008 version but I'm not allowed (Application running on the machine not tested in J2008) to upgrade to that version.

Torsten said:
> In the following summaries, you can obtain a general picture
> of how the December 2007 release of HP-UX 11i v2 differs
> from the June 2007 release of HP-UX 11i v2.

Thanks a lot, very interesting link.

:)