108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upload files

SOLVED
Go to solution
peterchu
Super Advisor

Upload files

I want to find a tools ( eg. sz , kermit ) for the users to upload files from pc to server , I know ftp is good but it need user login so it is not suit our situation , could suggest what tools is good for user upload files ? thx.
8 REPLIES 8
nibble
Super Advisor

do you mean, u dont want a user interaction for the uploading? with ftp, you could it to automatically login and upload the files.
nibble
Super Advisor

do you mean, u dont want a user interaction for the uploading? with ftp, you could it to automatically login and upload the files. whats the client by the way? is it a window based?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You have to be allowed to upload files. Without authentication, anything could loaded into the HP-UX system and destroy it. You could setup file sharing using CIFS/9000 (SAMBA) but file format conversion available in ftp (ie, ASCII) will have to be performed for compatibility. The tools ux2dos and dos2ux will handle the job. Installing and setting up CIFS will require some reading, especially concerning security.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
peterchu
Super Advisor

thx all reply , I want the user upload their files from reflection to unix server, i still have two questions of your suggestion , first , the ftp is no need user interaction , how to set it ? second , if use dos2ux , is it support on reflection ?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

FTP will always require user interaction. FTP is built into the Reflection product. Since you are using Reflection (either Xwindows or the telnet terminal emulator), your users are logging in already. The ftp client a fairly simple GUI although if your users are not very sophisticated, you'll have to setup limited ftp access. FTP performs the ASCII translation for you so dos2ux and ux2dos will not be needed.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
nibble
Super Advisor
Solution

assuming you have a win2000 workstation, ftp can be non-interactive if you issue the command as (ur in d:\tmp directory, your ftp.conf.txt and file_to_upload is also located in this directory)

d:\tmp> ftp -is:ftp.conf.txt ip_address_of_your_server_here

ftp gets all the authentication, ftp session commands from ftp.conf.txt file. ive attached the file for a sample config.

Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Reflection has a ftp client and you can define the new connection to the server and you can save the credentials for the next login (username/password) so the users have only to click on the connection name and connect to the server - the interactive login is bypassed - I'm using also Reflection but I've never saved the user credentials - it could be a security problem...
If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

WRQ's Reflection does have an excellent GUI for FTP. The password (if saved) is encrypted so no one can see it. Thus the only risk is if someone can logon to a particular PC. And if your users are not very careful, they can copy files the wrong direction.

However, like Reflection for HP (NOT Reflection/X) terminal emulator, there is an excellent macro recorder built into ftp. If the filename(s) or entire directory is always the same, you can record a session using the Script->Start Recording and then explcitly set ASCII or BINARY, overwrite option, source and destination, drag the file(s) or directory and then click on Script->Stop Recording. Save the script file as a .rfs file and now when a user double clicks on the .rfs file, the entire operation takes place automatically, no matter how many steps there are. And the script is stored as a Visual Basic file which can be edited within the ftp window.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin