New Discussion юеВ

Re: User Quotas

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

User Quotas

Hi all,
I have been requested to create a user on a Tru64 System running version 5.1B.
What is needed is giving the user a specific directory to write to with a max usage area of 5 GB to use on that drive, and not to be able to write anywhere else.
How can I do that, do I hav to install the C2 Security so I can get more options for adding users?, will my issue be resolved by the C2 secirity subset?

Thanks

Mohamed
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can restrict a user quota for a user without installing c2, however only on a fileset basis. I have found no evidence, that c2 enhances that. To restrict a user to his home directory you could give him a unique group and use restricted shell.

Tell me, if that covers your needs,

Michael
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your reply,
I want the user to have the group "users" as the other users on the system, will this help?
Also what happens if I want to include him in the "dba" group?
How can I give limits in the shell, how can I give a restricted shell?
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

May be it is better clear my question...
There is a certain user on the system that creates big files and can fill up a mount point.
What I need to do is just give him an allocated space to play with on a certain mount point, and is a part of group "users".
For example: user John can only use /x2/John directory and can only take 5 GB of space. He is not allowed to WRITE to any other mount point or to exceed 5GB of space. However, he can read and run scripts on other mount point.

I hope this clears the problem.

Mohamed
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

maybe you won't need rsh at all. Just give him 5gb of space on /x2, limit all other quotas on the other filesets to a minimum of 1mb or so. Can you give him his own fileset?

greetings,

Michael
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

OK, but how can I do that.
Can you provide the commands or just point me to the direction that I can find procedure.
I can't give him his own fileset.

Mohamed
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

instructions on how to set it up you find here:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH96DTE/CHPTRQTS.HTM

One more thing: check, if quota is in your config file in /sys/conf

greetings,

Michael